Upper entrances

  • karon
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 4, 2014

      I was wondering if anyone uses upper entrances for their supers in summer. I have seen this a few times. Drill a circle hole in the supers to allow foragers to enter the super without having to enter the bottom of the hive, cross the brood chamber and work in the super.

      I have never tried it but I have seen a few folks do it. never had a chance to ask about it.

      I know Some folks use them and some don’t. I wondered what opinions folks have here. I was thinking they might be a good idea for me since I live in the South. This time of year, the heat starts really climbing. People use wine corks to close those holes when not in use. I have heard it said that these upper entrances serve several purposes. Foragers have a more direct route, as I said, and it allows for better ventilation keeping the hive from overheating as well as allowing better air flow for honey evaporation. But I have never tired it.

      Any thoughts?

      Karon Adams

      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

      www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary

      www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

    • mdudley
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 4, 2014
        I drilled 1 inch holes in an upper super.  They guard it, and occasionally use it, but surprisingly not a lot.  It is probably more important from a ventilation standpoint.

        A couple of my hives were bearding heavily during the heat of the day, one so badly the group hanging off the entrance was larger than the original swarm that came in a couple of months ago.  I had standard telescopic tops with aluminum metal covering them.  I felt the tops the other day and they were hot hot hot!  Probably in the 150F or so range when it was 90 outside.  So I did some research and repainted with Henry's solarflex white paint I picked up at Home Depot.  Man did it make a difference. The tops are now not hot at all in full sun, and I noticed today there was no bearding at all during the day on one of the hives, and much less on the other.

        Marshall
      • karon
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 4, 2014

          Hmmm, very interesting. What about the winter? I don’t know where you live but, will that reflect too much heat in the winter and allow the hive to cool too much? or will you put the original metal lid back on it? I know you painted that one so, will you get an unpainted one? Of course, the bees, themselves, will create some heat by balling and buzzing through the winter so it may make no difference. I just wondered if you had considered that and if it may make a difference?

          I may go back and drill some holes in the uppers, then. Even if not used for entrance I think the ventilation would be very good for them. The are bearding some, right now but not a lot. As the season progresses, I am sure there will be more. Meanwhile, I am hoping to make a split this weekend. My only problem is, I am not physically able to lift. My husband usually does that for me but he has managed to injure his back, somehow. So, I need another assistant for my bee stuff.

          Believe it or not, I am not really a honey fan. It’s Ok but I’m not a super fan of it. To me, honey is just scorekeeping. So, since I really don’t worry about lots and lots of it, I am planning to make a split before long. If it costs me some honey production it won’t be a big deal.

[...]

        • Rich
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 4, 2014
            Hi Karon,

            Though it sounds like it could be a shorter path for the bees to not have to walk over the brood etc, it would actually increase their path causing them to walk over the brood twice as they enter, then go down to the bottom and then resume their routine of crossing over the brood the do their thing. Just the way bees do it; and I think that is the reason they will continue to use the lower entrance.

            Rich

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 4, 2014
              Yes, an upper hole can greatly increase ventilation. But please consider the long term implications of compromising that aspect of the integrity of the hive.

              ---- "mdudley@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > I drilled 1 inch holes in an upper super. They guard it, and occasionally use it, but surprisingly not a lot. It is probably more important from a ventilation standpoint.
              >
              > A couple of my hives were bearding heavily during the heat of the day, one so badly the group hanging off the entrance was larger than the original swarm that came in a couple of months ago. I had standard telescopic tops with aluminum metal covering them. I felt the tops the other day and they were hot hot hot! Probably in the 150F or so range when it was 90 outside. So I did some research and repainted with Henry's solarflex white paint I picked up at Home Depot. Man did it make a difference. The tops are now not hot at all in full sun, and I noticed today there was no bearding at all during the day on one of the hives, and much less on the other.
              >
              > Marshall
            • toad08551
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 5, 2014
                I have vented inner covers with an entrance cut in bottom 1/4 x 1 1/2 " bees use it a lot being over honey supers or brood box. I feed in it if needed and put insulation in it during the winter. very happy with them. Roger NJ
              • begemia
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 5, 2014
                  If you need ventilation, why not use a vent box? I've been using one for a few years now, and it seems to help them a great deal.
                • karon
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 5, 2014

                    Not sure I know what you mean. Perhaps it is something I have seen or heard about but didn’t know the proper name. I was thinking of the upper entrance to serve the dual purpose but it sounds like it would be used by the bees primarily for ventilation. That’s sine, just not what I expected.

                    Don’t some beekeepers put an old queen cage under the front of the outer cover to put the cover at a slant and allow for better ventilation?

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 5, 2014

                        Along those lines, I sent my husband to the local bee supply (which isn’t really local being an hour’s drive one way) and had him pick me up a couple of queen excluders. I’m using 8 frame boxes (I was not sure at first but now, I don’t think you could MAKE me go back to 10 frames!)

                        So, the queen excluder sits between the brood box and the supers and is a bit too big. That means there must be a small crack, all the way around the hive where the brood chamber and super meet.  I had not thought of that, before. Of course, they have likely propolized it but, hey, you never can tell!

                        I may drill that upper hole, still, for ventilation but, if I do, I’ll buy one of these diskies so they won’t have to have guard bees on duty.

                        BTW, I just ordered an inexpensive stethoscope so I can spy on the bees without disturbing them. I am halfway thinking of putting plexi windows on my brood boxes, as well.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 5, 2014

                          You are right. And, of course, they all crave the Queen Pheromone as well as the rood pheromone. Both of those things are downstairs. Si, I’m thinking as you do, that it would increase their work. Thanks for pointing that out. I had not thought of that being the reason, before. I had seen the holes in upper supers before. Some of the older beekeepers told me it was to save the bees time and increased honey production. With what you have presented, I am doubting that.

                          Of course, most of my bee knowledge comes from 15 years ago. I had bees beginning, about 25 year ago but about 15 years ago we had to relocate and I was not able to have bees for a good while. I have forgotten much of what I learned back then. Some were fact, some were old wives tales and some were just superstition. I am trying to remember things, now and also to remember to which category they belong.

                          Thanks.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 6, 2014

                              It would not let much in. you can also help prevent water inside the hive from that source by making a small landing board, maybe 2” x 2”. Just find some 2x2 lumber, an entire spindle if you need that much. but, I would think it would only be a couple of inches.  That covers water standing at the entrance and happening to allow water to flow into the hive.

                              There is another task which will also help. Build a porch roof. You can make it from any sheet of sheet metal. Put a couples of bends in it to make it look similar to the old dryer vents. But, instead of damp, lint laden airflow, you have nice, clean slightly moisturized air in the vacuum. You should bend the sheet to the vent cover just smaller. Simply cut the metal sheet to size, then fold up your sheet into a vent cover. This prevents water running into the hive from above.

                              I have seen a lot of long time beekeepers do this and to great effect. I need to do something similar on my top bar hive an I really want to try to find a way to put a window in my lang hive.

                              Good luck!

                              Karon Adams

                              Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

                              You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

                              www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary

                              www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

                              If you need ventilation, why not use a vent box? I've been using one for a few years now, and it seems to help them a great deal.

                            • Chez pr
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 6, 2014
                                Snelgrove Board- Ventilation and swarm prevention in one. Open mesh floors help and if it gets really hot- open mesh floor on top may  vent without beetles and moths getting in, which Is a problem I understand you guys get. Hope it helps !
                              • Carol Zaworski
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 15, 2014
                                  For ventilation I use follower boards

                                  Sent from my iPad

                                  On Jul 4, 2014, at 5:39 PM, "Rich wd6esz@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  Yes, an upper hole can greatly increase ventilation. But please consider the long term implications of compromising that aspect of the integrity of the hive.

                                  ---- "mdudley@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                  > I drilled 1 inch holes in an upper super. They guard it, and occasionally use it, but surprisingly not a lot. It is probably more important from a ventilation standpoint.
                                  >
                                  > A couple of my hives were bearding heavily during the heat of the day, one so badly the group hanging off the entrance was larger than the original swarm that came in a couple of months ago. I had standard telescopic tops with aluminum metal covering them. I felt the tops the other day and they were hot hot hot! Probably in the 150F or so range when it was 90 outside. So I did some research and repainted with Henry's solarflex white paint I picked up at Home Depot. Man did it make a difference. The tops are now not hot at all in full sun, and I noticed today there was no bearding at all during the day on one of the hives, and much less on the other.
                                  >
                                  > Marshall

                                • chris o
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 16, 2014

                                    What I don't understand is why bother? If the idea is not to stand on the brood, can the bees simply stand on the sides of the hive box, the bottom board and or the inner cover?

                                    Chris

                                    On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:41 PM, "Carol Zaworski SISTERCAROLZ@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                    For ventilation I use follower boards

                                    Sent from my iPad

                                    On Jul 4, 2014, at 5:39 PM, "Rich wd6esz@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                    Yes, an upper hole can greatly increase ventilation. But please consider the long term implications of compromising that aspect of the integrity of the hive.

                                    ---- "mdudley@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                    > I drilled 1 inch holes in an upper super. They guard it, and occasionally use it, but surprisingly not a lot. It is probably more important from a ventilation standpoint.
                                    >
                                    > A couple of my hives were bearding heavily during the heat of the day, one so badly the group hanging off the entrance was larger than the original swarm that came in a couple of months ago. I had standard telescopic tops with aluminum metal covering them. I felt the tops the other day and they were hot hot hot! Probably in the 150F or so range when it was 90 outside. So I did some research and repainted with Henry's solarflex white paint I picked up at Home Depot. Man did it make a difference. The tops are now not hot at all in full sun, and I noticed today there was no bearding at all during the day on one of the hives, and much less on the other.
                                    >
                                    > Marshall

                                  • carol zaworski
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 16, 2014
                                      The purpose of the follower board is for ventilation/summer and insulation/winter, not to prevent bood from being walked on.

                                      Carol

                                      On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:12 AM, "chris o twelvevoltduckman@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                      What I don't understand is why bother? If the idea is not to stand on the brood, can the bees simply stand on the sides of the hive box, the bottom board and or the inner cover?

                                      Chris

                                      On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:41 PM, "Carol Zaworski SISTERCAROLZ@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                      For ventilation I use follower boards

                                      Sent from my iPad

                                      On Jul 4, 2014, at 5:39 PM, "Rich wd6esz@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                      Yes, an upper hole can greatly increase ventilation. But please consider the long term implications of compromising that aspect of the integrity of the hive.

                                      ---- "mdudley@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                      > I drilled 1 inch holes in an upper super. They guard it, and occasionally use it, but surprisingly not a lot. It is probably more important from a ventilation standpoint.
                                      >
                                      > A couple of my hives were bearding heavily during the heat of the day, one so badly the group hanging off the entrance was larger than the original swarm that came in a couple of months ago. I had standard telescopic tops with aluminum metal covering them. I felt the tops the other day and they were hot hot hot! Probably in the 150F or so range when it was 90 outside. So I did some research and repainted with Henry's solarflex white paint I picked up at Home Depot. Man did it make a difference. The tops are now not hot at all in full sun, and I noticed today there was no bearding at all during the day on one of the hives, and much less on the other.
                                      >
                                      > Marshall

                                    • chris o
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 18, 2014

                                        That's contrary to what your source states:

                                        " The theory here is that the bees can collect on the follower boards without sitting on the brood. In hot weather, the bees have a hard time keeping the brood cool enough, and sitting on it makes it worse. So both follower boards and slatted racks give the bees a place to “hang out.”"

                                        But nothing is said either way as to why reducing the available foundation is better than their using the existing surfaces to "hang out."

                                        Chris

                                        Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android