bleeping

  • toad08551
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2014
       Today is the first time i've heard it Bleep bleep . Opened a hive and second frame i pulled i found eggs and larva and i heard it bleep, bleep. I told the gal that was with me that I think that's the Queen bleeping. She  said "what??" i told her i'd heard tell the Queen will bleep but i'd never heard it before but this was definutely coming from the hive. We heard it a couple more times before closing up, seen eggs & young larva so didn't have to look farther.

       Earlier this morning while checking another yard with my wife we heard a purring sound coming from the hive??? can anyone elaborate on these sounds??? roger NJ

    • chris o
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2014
        It was a new queen calling out any other queens in the colony, looking to kill them off. The noise is her calling sound.

        Chris

        Subject: [Beekeeping] bleeping
        To: Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2014
          The sound is called "piping". Queen calling other queens to duel.

          ---- "toad08551@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          > Today is the first time i've heard it Bleep bleep . Opened a hive and second frame i pulled i found eggs and larva and i heard it bleep, bleep. I told the gal that was with me that I think that's the Queen bleeping. She said "what??" i told her i'd heard tell the Queen will bleep but i'd never heard it before but this was definutely coming from the hive. We heard it a couple more times before closing up, seen eggs & young larva so didn't have to look farther.
          >
          > Earlier this morning while checking another yard with my wife we heard a purring sound coming from the hive??? can anyone elaborate on these sounds??? roger NJ

        • Enchplant
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2014
            Here are some queens piping in a hive I had...

            On Jun 14, 2014, at 4:31 PM, "toad08551@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

             Today is the first time i've heard it Bleep bleep . Opened a hive and second frame i pulled i found eggs and larva and i heard it bleep, bleep. I told the gal that was with me that I think that's the Queen bleeping. She  said "what??" i told her i'd heard tell the Queen will bleep but i'd never heard it before but this was definutely coming from the hive. We heard it a couple more times before closing up, seen eggs & young larva so didn't have to look farther.

             Earlier this morning while checking another yard with my wife we heard a purring sound coming from the hive??? can anyone elaborate on these sounds??? roger NJ

          • Anne Money