Sugar water

  • lookingbears
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2014

      I have been feeding sugar water for the last 2 months to 2 hives.

      I give them 1 quart every to days and could give them more

      because they consume it in one day. I have found that over the

      last month my bees are getting more aggressive and coming out

      of the have after me when I go to feed them. I now have to wear

      my bee suit to feed them. Today 4/24 was the worst day I have

      ever had with hive #1. It's like they were Africanized bee's. They

      were even going after my goats. Are they getting hipped up on to

      much sugar or Is it just a mean colony. It also might be another

      problem that I don't know about. I haven't cleaned my bee suit

      in a couple of weeks and have had some good hits from swarms

      that I get. (No Africanized bees)

      Anyway if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I am going

      to back way off the sugar water now because the hives are

      getting built up and everything is in bloom.

      By the way I have dealt with Africanized bees several times and

      know how they act.

      Thanks,

      Doug

    • michael_bush_beekeeper
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28, 2014
        I would guess they have gotten strong fast because its spring.  As they get stronger they tend to be more defensive.  There is a loose correlation between getting honey bound and defensive which may give a loose correlation between the sugar syrup and defensiveness. Maybe they need more room.  Or maybe you have different genetics now than you used to.  Or maybe the skunks are harassing them.  Feeding syrup often attracts robbers and defending against robbers makes them more defensive in general.  Feed sugar syrup always attracts ants and fighting the ants makes them more defensive in general.  I guess the real question is why are you feeding the syrup?  What are you hoping to accomplish?  There is no reason to if there is a flow and there may or may not be before the flow depending on the timing of the flow and the timing of the buildup in our location.  In most Northern locations I don't see any benefit unless they are going to starve and I see a lot of downsides...

        http://bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm

        Michael
      • lookingbears
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28, 2014
          Thanks for your reply Michael. They are now off of sugar water.
          Doug