Over-wintered, Now what?

  • drbuckthunder
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8, 2014
      I have been trying to overwinter bees for several years. I finally did it, even in the harsh PA. winter that we had. I am feeding them sugar water and patties and they are all at the top of the hive. How do I get them down to the bottom of the deep box?
    • Sherill Ryan
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 2014
        Just reverse the boxes but do it on a warm day.
        On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:20 PM, "pilotdm@..." <pilotdm@...> wrote:

        I have been trying to overwinter bees for several years. I finally did it, even in the harsh PA. winter that we had. I am feeding them sugar water and patties and they are all at the top of the hive. How do I get them down to the bottom of the deep box?

      • Tim Arheit
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 2014
          Normally you will simply rotate your boxes... moving the top box to the bottom.  However,  Make sure they have no brood in the bottom box at all before you do this.  If they have any brood in the bottom box, rotating the boxes will result in brood in the bottom box and at the top of the top box and the cluster won't be able to cover both areas.

          Personally, I wouldn't do it quite yet since you are feeding because rotating the boxes will move the sugar water farther from the cluster (I'm assuming of course that they are short of honey and need to be fed and you are feeding at the top of the hive).

          -Tim

          On 4/8/2014 11:20 PM, pilotdm@... wrote:

          I have been trying to overwinter bees for several years. I finally did it, even in the harsh PA. winter that we had. I am feeding them sugar water and patties and they are all at the top of the hive. How do I get them down to the bottom of the deep box?

        • Thomas Powell
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 23, 2014

            Swap boxes, put the top on the bottom and bottom on top.  Good time to clean off the bottom board real good too.

            Thomas

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 26, 2014
              As mentioned before, switch the boxes so that the brood with the queen is at the bottom and the open celled frames are in the box at the top.  Queen will move up and lay in those if she is a good queen.  That process is called reversing by the way.

              Mike in LA