Winter losses ?

  • sgtwal
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 22, 2014
      I almost hate to ask but how did everyone do over the winter ?
      I lost 6 out of 7 in the home yard.
      Only one starved from what I can see the others just froze out or left at some point as there were few bees in the hives.
    • Gary Glaenzer
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 22, 2014
        4 for 4 gone

        damn

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 22, 2014
          Sorry, Yahoo seems to have lost my complete reply in the previous posting.  I lost 1 for one, they died the 3rd night it reached 0F.  Too bad it never got below 20F after that night.

          I now have 5 hives, and am looking for swarms.

          Marshall
        • Carol Zaworski
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 22, 2014
            I lost one out of three. Did a split last week, it's doing great....so I am back up to three!
            Seems there is quit a bit of honey already.....

            Sent from my iPad

          • mdudley

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 22, 2014
                On 3/22/2014 6:07 PM, mdudley@... wrote:
                > I now have 5 hives, and am looking for swarms.

                Managed to get my two hives through this crazy winter.....thus
                far.... and from my inexperienced eyes yesterday all seems to be well.

                But as I got my first two hives via neighborhood swarms in my own
                bumbling way, I am on the hunt to capture more this spring.

                --
                Carol in TN

                ---
              • nasser
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 23, 2014
                  So far I lost one out of two, However my other beekeepers friends they lost total of 12 out of 12. Next week temp its going to be near zero again. Some day the weather here in northern New England will warm up, maybe.
                  Nass
                • toad08551
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 23, 2014

                    I lost 5 out of six topbar hives and 4 out of 24 langs. most of the topbars wre week going in,didn't expect much there. I know 2 of the langs that were strong ate their stores around them and didn't move to honey, both have 50# honey left. one had mouse in and one had a severe mite load.

                     Those that lost ,have you checked mite losad?? you can check bottom board or gather the bees and rinse them in a strainer and see how many mites they had  Roger NJ

                  • fireham
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 23, 2014
                      2nd year learning to keep bees. First year I lost 2 of 2 hives (from packages) long before winter. one just left, one got beetles.

                      2013 I started 3 hives from nucs, did well, there were two swarms I was home to see, Caught both of those with aid and direction from a local long time beekeeper, the first and largest made a good hive, so I was up to 4.

                      Lost one of those before winter to wax moths (or maybe "lost" it before and the moths moved in), then two double deep hives overwinter due to starvation (top deeps packed with honey) and the hive from the swarm is the only one left, but seems to be doing very very well.  So well indeed that a couple weeks ago.. I risked taking the top box off (had been one of the full boxes of honey from a starved out hive, now that had about 3 frames of eggs/brood) and as an early experimental split.  Then put another box on top of the strong overwintered hive and they seem to be building that one out quickly.  The "split" still has bees a bit of capped worker brood yet to hatch, at least one queen cell not yet hatched (as of about 3 days ago) and I'm seeing workers bringing in pollen. (located in Northeast Arkansas, just accross the river from Memphis.

                      If the current experimental split does not work out, I'm sure once there is more flowering in the area, the main hive will be strong enough to try a split again at some time, so I'll be back at 2 hives, and have 2 packages scheduled for delivery early Apr. Maybe get lucky and catch a swarm or two. goal... 6 hives by end of spring/summer.
                    • kirkdehaan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 23, 2014
                        I'm in N. Idaho.  We had one hive for our first year beekeeping.  They developed noseum and we had a very erratic and cold winter.  We lost them.  They were a very healthy hive until then.  We will be treating them from the start this year on the new hive.Learned a lot the first year.

                        My wife has a friend in Iowa and she said the reports from there were 50-75% losses.

                        Kirk
                      • jetjockeybearup
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 23, 2014
                          Lost 3 out of 3. The yellow jackets were awful this year. Lots of dead yellow jackets in the hives all three had small clusters and I think they didn't make it through the first negative digit cold snap we had. Still have a tone of honey in each.

                          Sent from my iPad

                          On Mar 23, 2014, at 7:32 AM, <toad08551@...> wrote:

                          I lost 5 out of six topbar hives and 4 out of 24 langs. most of the topbars wre week going in,didn't expect much there. I know 2 of the langs that were strong ate their stores around them and didn't move to honey, both have 50# honey left. one had mouse in and one had a severe mite load.

                           Those that lost ,have you checked mite losad?? you can check bottom board or gather the bees and rinse them in a strainer and see how many mites they had  Roger NJ

                        • baldbeeman
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 24, 2014
                            We have bee hives we either own or manage for others in NE Colorado in a few locations. Lost six colonies between Labor Day and Halloween that mostly had weak queens or small size for various reasons including being recent starts. Expected to lose several more through the winter, so ordered packages and queens due to deliver in April based on predictions and history. Two weeks ago was the first time it was warm enough to look in the hives. Extremely surprised to find not a single colony died between Halloween and March 15. One Warre, four top bar, and 24 Langstroth hives are all mostly looking good and several will need to be split. We didn't expect this, because not only have we not used any treatments for over two years, we didn't even prepare the hives for winter except to reduce the entrances and control the ventilation. So now we are scrambling to gather or build equipment for the bees supposed to be on their way. For the first time in seven years, we might have no room for caught swarms.
                          • billbird2111
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 24, 2014
                              I was down to one colony from an original two. I lost them. December was a crazy month in California. The cold wiped out my colony and 100 percent of my citrus crop. When the Meyer Lemons froze solid, turned black and dropped off the tree (along with every leaf), I thought there was no way the bees could make it. And they didn't.

                              Repopulated with two nuc transfers two weeks ago. Life is wonderful again. They're all over my cherry and pluot trees. Citrus is about to bloom again. Here's hoping for better luck next time kid!

                              Bill
                              Sacramento, CA