Re: First year extraction

  • mdudley
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 27, 2013
      I purchased a luggage scale from Amazon, and built an inexpensive hive scale yesterday from a tripod and a luggage scale.

      It seems to work pretty good, and is adjustable for uneven ground and various heights of the hives.

      The front of the hive body is even with the edge of the concrete block in front to form a pivot point right at the front, and then all I have to do is push down on the lever until the back of the hive lifts off the back of the block. Then I simply multiply the scale reading by 2 for the hive weight. This one weighs 120
      pound.

      A picture of it is here:

      Marshall

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, mdudley@... wrote:

      > Thanks for the tip on the luggage scale. I have a hook on the rear of my bottom board and initially was using a fish scale to do the same thing. But it topped out months ago. I was unaware of the luggage scale, but that is exactly what I need.
      >
      > BTW for the physics to be right, the front support (pivot point) should end just under the front of the hive body, not the landing board. If you have the front of the bottom board that is extended beyond the hive body supported, the multiplier will be less than 2. If you want it exact the pivot point should be the same distance from the front of the hive body, as the hook is from the back of the hive body. Then the multiplier will be exactly 2.
      >
      > Marshall
      >
      > --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Kewisch, Jorg" <jorg@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am sure that Bill's reply was not meant to be as dark as it sounds. I see nothing wrong with harvesting a little honey in the first year; it is human to want to do that. Just make sure that the bees have enough food for the winter and feed sugar syrup (2:1 by weight) if necessary. I add food coloring to the syrup to make sure that I do not extract left-overs next harvest. Here on Long Island the rule is that a hive with 2 deeps should weigh 140 pounds in the fall. I have a hook in the bottom board and use a luggage scale to lift the back of the hive off the ground. The scale should then read 70 pounds.
      > > Then you brace for the winter. On average there is a 30% loss. If you have only 2 hives the statistics says you may lose none or all, even if you do everything right. I have been lucky so far and I hope you are too. If not don't give up and increase the number of hives next year to harvest some and leave some.
      > >
      > > Jorg

    • husztek
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 27, 2013
        A very interesting idea.
        The luggage scale thingy.
        It looks like it will work,
        it sure beats my method all hollow.
        Now I gotta go buy a scale thingy.

        Regards the pivot point from front to back.
        Wouldn't you eliminate that consideration if you were to weigh it from side to side?

        ---- On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 07:36:29 -0700 <mdudley@...> wrote ----

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 27, 2013
          Yes it would. Unfortunately my bees are hanging out on the front and sides, so am a little wary of doing it there. Also, because the tripod had 3 legs, one of them goes somewhat under the hive (between the blocks), which will not fit in my case on the side due to the concrete block orientation. If they were on wood runners though that would probably work quite well.

          Marshall

          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, husztek <husztek@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > Then you brace for the winter. On average there is a 30% loss. If you have only 2 hives the statistics says you may lose none or all, even if you do everything right. I have been lucky so far and I hope you are too. If not don't give up and increase the number of hives next year to harvest some and leave some.

        • Jorg Kewisch
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 27, 2013
            Side to side works but I am more comfortable in the back. The method
            also assumes that the weight is evenly distributed, which is not always
            true. So the whole measurement is only good within 5-10 %. But you would
            not tell your bees: Hey, you got 1 pound too much, hand it over...

            On 08/27/2013 01:35 PM, husztek wrote:

            > Regards the pivot point from front to back.
            > Wouldn't you eliminate that consideration if you were to weigh it from
            > side to side?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Bill

          • mdudley
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 27, 2013
              I don't consider high accuracy as important, but consistency (repeatability) is. That way it is easy to determine if they are putting up, or using, stores by simply comparing measurements one or more days apart.

              Marshall