The taste of honey

  • jeffbeck_av8r
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2013

      Hi All-

      Wow what has yahoo done- tried to see how hard it can be to use their site? I had this message all typed and lost it, so if its here twice...Yahoos bad.

      Anyway,  I had never tasted my own honey, so when I went to check my hive I brought a fork & a bowl with me. I stole about two square inches, I think most of that stayed on the frame.  so a very small taste to split with my wife & 2 daughters.

      They didn't like it that much, they said it had a hint of spice and made their tounges feel weird.  It was very light-I'd say clear I agree it has a hint of spice, don't know what I'd call it, maybe an apple pie spice. But I liked it. But maybe I'm biased...

      Anyway that was my first taste of my own honey,

      I have two deep supers and a medium super I added about 6 weeks ago.  they have  not worked up into the medium yet- is that because its mid summer and the flow is low?  I had a queen excluder between the medium and the deeps but I took that out about a week ago.  I do see more bees up there now.

      I have heard there is a second nectar flow in the fall, when would you expect that in south east Michigan? I will want to watch my medium super at that time, hopefully I'll need to add another!

      -New-Bee

      (Jeff Beck)