Re: [Beekeeping] Blooms in FL and nectar flow

  • Carrie Hardee
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 6, 2013
      I guess I don't know what a Gallberry is, then.  I was just going by what I was shown, and told.  I tried googling it, but that didn't really help.  Whatever this little bush is, it has very small flowers, that turn into a purplish ball, and they are everywhere on our back 5 acers.  They grow like weeds throughout the Oak Trees.  My son works for USDA, so I'll send a sample to work with him to see if we can get it identified.  Other than that, there really isn't a lot around us, that I can see.

      Thanks so much!

      >>>   .... Anyway, the Crape Murtles (sp) and the Gallberries are now in a pretty good bloom ....    Carrie in FL Not sure about the crape myrtles but gallberries finished blooming in Florida at the end of June.
      Mike in LA
    • Carrie Hardee
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 7, 2013
        Mystery solved!  My little bushes, that I thought were Gallberries, are in fact Beautyberries!!  Good news is, honeybees like them!  Yay.