Re: Processing wax

  • scot
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2013
      I found this series of videos on youtube to be helpful. He has many other good vidoes on other aspects of beekeeping.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNcrmz5AGA8

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2013
        You need an insulated box with a double paned glass lid.  The interior should be black and if you can, black metal sides on the inside of the insulated box.  There should be no air movement in or out of the box.  Your purpose is to build up the heat from the sun inside the box, rather like a closed up car in the summer.

        The crud on the bottom of the wax is called slumgum and is scraped off.  You purify the wax by melting and then pouring off the top, clear wax.  That part that has "stuff" in it is collected and added to other like batches and again melted and again poured off the top, the clear layer of wax.  The leftover wax (slumgum) you pour over dried pine cones, add a short piece of candle wick, and sell for fifty cents or so as a fire starter.  Makes a hot long-lasting flame to start fires.