Sugar Syrup

  • karon
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 30, 2013

      Ok, I am coming back after 10 years out. I’m not at all happy with the bees I have. And I have found out that there were some significant problems from this supply company, problems they didn’t disclose to their customers. And that makes me even more angry.

      Anyway, that, coupled with the problems with honeyflow in my area had caused some more problems. These girls were extremely slow to build up and when the rains came, and began washing away the nectar, there were not enough stores to hold them and not enough foragers to gather what was available.  So I have had to feed them the last few weeks. I once had an old beekeeper tell me that you didn’t want to take a chance on taking off sugar syrup thinking it was honey so he always put food coloring in the syrup he fed. So, when I fed my girls, I put red coloring in it.

      I went in this morning and checked on them. Good news is the queens are laying, again. They had stopped because there was no food. So, in addition, I saw quite a bit of my red syrup being stored by. That is good. Then, it being early morning, I had a great sideways sun and it made the girls just glow! Cool part was, you could see the red syrup in their little tummies.

      I knew they could carry a decent amount but I never knew how much. Seeing this made it very clear!  Assuming a cell is about the size of a bee plus a couple of tenths of a mm for the exoskeleton of the bee and a little room to move, that means that it would take the full tummies of about 5 bees to fill a cell. Of course, that is just straight nectar and as it loses moisture, they would add more. but I thought that was neat. I had never realized they could hold that much at once. VERY neat!

      I swear, I learn something new about them every time I open the hive. And give them one clear shot at a hive beetle and they don’t NEED my help!!

      Karon Adams

      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

      www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary

      www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

    • Carrie Hardee
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 31, 2013
        Hi Karon,

        My bees are struggling with their stores, too.  Accually, when I did an expection a couple weeks ago, I didn't find hardly anything stored.  That was a scary site.  Since then, I've been pouring the sugar syrup to them.  I didn't even think about all the rain, but that's a good point, as to what might be going on.  We've had so much rain!  Anyway, the Crape Murtles (sp) and the Gallberries are now in a pretty good bloom, so I'm hoping things get better.  I've been so worried about them.  Just to give you an idea of how bad it's been, I've been giving them a good quart full of 2 parts sugar, to 1 part water (with Honey B Healthy) in the a.m. and its gone by the next morning.  That just seems like a lot to me.

        Anyway, I wish you the best with your bees and thanks for sharing!

        Carrie in FL

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 31, 2013
          It is odd. Here my hive started in the middle of April, put up so much honey, they were becoming honey bound, and I had to remove about 50 pounds to keep them healthy. They still have about 50 pounds despite having to build all new combs, and the asters just started blooming. I have not seen any golden rod yet. Crepe Myrtles have been blooming for about 3 weeks now, and that along with clover have been the only sources of food for the last few weeks that I am aware of.

          Marshall

          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Carrie Hardee <redfsh3@...> wrote:

          > Hi Karon,
          >
          > My bees are struggling with their stores, too.  Accually, when I did an expection a couple weeks ago, I didn't find hardly anything stored.  That was a scary site.  Since then, I've been pouring the sugar syrup to them.  I didn't even think about all the rain, but that's a good point, as to what might be going on.  We've had so much rain!  Anyway, the Crape Murtles (sp) and the Gallberries are now in a pretty good bloom, so I'm hoping things get better.  I've been so worried about them.  Just to give you an idea of how bad it's been, I've been giving them a good quart full of 2 parts sugar, to 1 part water (with Honey B Healthy) in the a.m. and its gone by the next morning.  That just seems like a lot to me.
          >
          > Anyway, I wish you the best with your bees and thanks for sharing!
          >
          > Carrie in FL
          >

          > >________________________________

        • carol zaworski
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 31, 2013
            I thought in the summer the ratio was 1:1, not 2:1

            Carol Zaworski
            Please let me know you received this email

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 31, 2013

              Well, my problem is the bees, themselves. As it turns out, almost everyone who bought bees from this one local place is having trouble.  When I contacted them to ask about it I received a reply that you ALWAYS have to feed constantly the first year and the bees won’t make ANY excess honey. To consider that they would is foolish. Oh, and, apparently, constant supersedure is normal, too.

              Yeah, no. These girls have no stores in the pantries and are not even beginning to draw in the first super. Meanwhile, some friends with hives from other apiaries, hive installed on empty foundation and placed in the same area, are pulling off 4-6 supers already.  Yeah, the problem is definitely the bees. I won’t be buying from this company again and am ordering new queens right now.  Hopefully, they will be here by Saturday and the new queens will have a chance to build the hives enough to build for winter.

              Karon Adams

              Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

              You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

              www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary

              www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

              It is odd. Here my hive started in the middle of April, put up so much honey, they were becoming honey bound, and I had to remove about 50 pounds to keep them healthy. They still have about 50 pounds despite having to build all new combs, and the asters just started blooming. I have not seen any golden rod yet. Crepe Myrtles have been blooming for about 3 weeks now, and that along with clover have been the only sources of food for the last few weeks that I am aware of.

              Marshall

              --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Carrie Hardee <redfsh3@...> wrote:

              > Hi Karon,
              >
              > My bees are struggling with their stores, too.  Accually, when I did an expection a couple weeks ago, I didn't find hardly anything stored.  That was a scary site.  Since then, I've been pouring the sugar syrup to them.  I didn't even think about all the rain, but that's a good point, as to what might be going on.  We've had so much rain!  Anyway, the Crape Murtles (sp) and the Gallberries are now in a pretty good bloom, so I'm hoping things get better.  I've been so worried about them.  Just to give you an idea of how bad it's been, I've been giving them a good quart full of 2 parts sugar, to 1 part water (with Honey B Healthy) in the a.m. and its gone by the next morning.  That just seems like a lot to me.
              >
              > Anyway, I wish you the best with your bees and thanks for sharing!
              >
              > Carrie in FL
              >

              > >________________________________

            • Crzy-Pony
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 31, 2013
                It is 1 to 1 not 2 to 1 as I was taught
                Marlene
                NH

[...]

                http://www.yellowribbonrosaries.com/

              • Christopher Rappitt
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2013
                  Dont forget about pollen, the queen wont lay until they have brood food.
                   1:1 in the summer this is referred to as "normal syrup"(nectar replacement"
                  2parts sugar to one is referred to as"thick syrup"(honey replacement to replenish the stores you rob from them)
                  Simples, wouldn't surprise me if the bees were absolutely fine. so be carefull before you shoot your mouth off.
                    luv from the UK
                • Carrie Hardee
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2013
                    I don't plan on robbing any off of mine, as there's none to rob, and yes, the regular summer mix is 1 to 1.  However, the reason I'm doing the "thick" is to be sure they store it up.  I'm also providing pollen.

                    I'm not sure who you're referring to as "shooting your mouth off", but I can assure you, it's not me!  My hives are getting inspected today, so I'm sure I'll find out if I'm doing anything wrong.

                    Thanks!
                    Carrie

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
                      If you have a source which is wonderful, You name and publish it.

                      If you have a source which is terrible, Please  name and publish it!!

                      ---- On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 15:33:24 -0700 karon<karon@...> wrote ----

                      Well, my problem is the bees, themselves. As it turns out, almost everyone who bought bees from this one local place is having trouble.  When I contacted them to ask about it I received a reply that you ALWAYS have to feed constantly the first year and the bees won’t make ANY excess honey. To consider that they would is foolish. Oh, and, apparently, constant supersedure is normal, too.

                      Yeah, no. These girls have no stores in the pantries and are not even beginning to draw in the first super. Meanwhile, some friends with hives from other apiaries, hive installed on empty foundation and placed in the same area, are pulling off 4-6 supers already.  Yeah, the problem is definitely the bees. I won’t be buying from this company again and am ordering new queens right now.  Hopefully, they will be here by Saturday and the new queens will have a chance to build the hives enough to build for winter.

                      Karon Adams

                      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

                      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

                      www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary

                      www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

                      It is odd. Here my hive started in the middle of April, put up so much honey, they were becoming honey bound, and I had to remove about 50 pounds to keep them healthy. They still have about 50 pounds despite having to build all new combs, and the asters just started blooming. I have not seen any golden rod yet. Crepe Myrtles have been blooming for about 3 weeks now, and that along with clover have been the only sources of food for the last few weeks that I am aware of.

                      Marshall

                      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Carrie Hardee <redfsh3@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Karon,
                      >
                      > My bees are struggling with their stores, too.  Accually, when I did an expection a couple weeks ago, I didn't find hardly anything stored.  That was a scary site.  Since then, I've been pouring the sugar syrup to them.  I didn't even think about all the rain, but that's a good point, as to what might be going on.  We've had so much rain!  Anyway, the Crape Murtles (sp) and the Gallberries are now in a pretty good bloom, so I'm hoping things get better.  I've been so worried about them.  Just to give you an idea of how bad it's been, I've been giving them a good quart full of 2 parts sugar, to 1 part water (with Honey B Healthy) in the a.m. and its gone by the next morning.  That just seems like a lot to me.
                      >
                      > Anyway, I wish you the best with your bees and thanks for sharing!
                      >
                      > Carrie in FL
                      >

                      > >________________________________

                      Bill Husztek
                      Black Squirrel Cottage Enterprises
                      7558 Marshall Drive
                      Annandale, VA 22003
                      703-573-8842
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
                        >>>   .... Anyway, the Crape Murtles (sp) and the Gallberries are now in a pretty good bloom ....    Carrie in FL

                        Not sure about the crape myrtles but gallberries finished blooming in Florida at the end of June.

                        Mike in LA

                      • Carrie Hardee
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 6, 2013
                          I guess I don't know what a Gallberry is, then.  I was just going by what I was shown, and told.  I tried googling it, but that didn't really help.  Whatever this little bush is, it has very small flowers, that turn into a purplish ball, and they are everywhere on our back 5 acers.  They grow like weeds throughout the Oak Trees.  My son works for USDA, so I'll send a sample to work with him to see if we can get it identified.  Other than that, there really isn't a lot around us, that I can see.

                          Thanks so much!

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 7, 2013
                            Mystery solved!  My little bushes, that I thought were Gallberries, are in fact Beautyberries!!  Good news is, honeybees like them!  Yay.