Re: [Beekeeping] Re: One queen left for sale

  • Crzy-Pony
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 3, 2013
      thanks Mike
      Marlene
      NH

      From: Mike S <mws1112004@...>
      To: Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:52 PM
      Subject: Re: [Beekeeping] Re: One queen left for sale
      >>>   .... queen cell closed the last time I was in there and the next time
      it was open and the queen was not in the hive that I could see , No eggs at all .....

      Time Frame - You gave no time frame.  If you caught the queen cell 12 hours after the queen emerged, you would have a very hard time finding a virgin queen.  Time from emergence to the presence of eggs:  Depending on weather 10 to 15 or 20 days.  Usually closer to the 10 day time period.  2 or 3 days after emergence the queen would take an orienting flight, and then 2 or 3 days of mating flights which could be extended due to inclimate weather.  Then there is a 3 to 5 day period before she starts laying.  Don't give up on her yet.

      Mike in LA
    • Crzy-Pony
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 5, 2013
        Well went back into my hive No eggs and I could not find a queen and the hive seems very disorientated . I still have lots of drones :(  I checked both boxes in the area that the bees congregated in and still no eggs about 4 frames of honey.  If that spare queen is around I will give it a shot
        Address
        Marlene Bishop
        4 Bald Hill Road
        Raymond NH 03077

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 5, 2013
          Marlene,

          My spare got bought up locally.

          Contact Risa at R. Weaver Apiaries. They are on the net, and have good bees and a fast turn around.

          ---- On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 14:47:05 -0700 Crzy-Pony <crzybishma@...> wrote ----

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 5, 2013
            Ok Thanks any way Bill glad you sold her , any idea on prices with Weaver?
            Marlene

            "Maybe hatched"? You need to know for sure by looking for her or signs that she is there and viable - mated and laying eggs- at the bottom of cells one per cell (they are very small). If she is not present the hive will be disturbed and unhappy, plus she chemically supresses laying workers, seen as multiple eggs on the side not bottom of cells. If no sign of her or her activity, if you introduce a queen via a cage (timed release)and she is accepted and starts laying, in a month you will have 1,000s of workers hatching out - by early August, they would then have two months to get up to speed. If you were to get someone in NH to give you a frame of young brood that they could make a queen from, you would still have lost another 3 weeks that you don't have. Best Wishes,  Bob

            --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Crzy-Pony <crzybishma@...> wrote:

            > Some hive bees and some workers still there I am hoping the queen  that maybe hatched will be back and fix things if not it will be a miracle if this hive pulls through with a mail order bride or gift. Right now we have been faced with many days of rain, I was wondering if I should pull some of the drones out to help conserve food supplies? What do you all think?
            > Marlene
            > NH

            > ________________________________

          • husztek
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 8, 2013
              Marlene,

              Sorry for the turn around time.
              Been outside more than in lately.

              Weaver has two lines.
              They are both priced the same.

              You need to get with Risa today if you want her to ship this week.

              ---- On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 15:09:07 -0700 Crzy-Pony<crzybishma@...> wrote ----

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 8, 2013
                Ok Bill thank you
                Marlene