Re: [Beekeeping] One queen left for sale

  • Crzy-Pony
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 30, 2013
      Well I check the hive today no brood  4 frames of honey and pollen Queen cell empty and I could not find her she may have been flying. I will check back in a few days weather providing.   I really don't know what else I can do at this point. They will probably not make it if the queen doesn't come back and I only have the one hive. Its full of drones so no body else will want it either.  I am not going to give up   : )  I'm just slow at getting it together  I guess.
      Marlene
      NH

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2013
        If you still have plenty of workers and no brood, order a queen by US mail from suppliers in Georgia - she will get to you in 2 or 3 days, and you can take the cork out, puncture the candy, and place it between a couple brood frames, she will hopefully be released in a couple days and be accepted and start laying. Being in NH your season starts late so you may be able to get it going this year. I live in VA and I got a package less that three weeks ago and they got through the heat fine (USPS Priority) and have done great - I made an observation hive based on a 12 gallon acrylic aquarium with frames screwed at an angle on the top and deep foundation installed. They now have been drawing out about 7 combs, and have at least 4 combs with sealed worker brood. You can still pull this out this year! Good Luck, Bob

        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Crzy-Pony <crzybishma@...> wrote:

        > Well I check the hive today no brood  4 frames of honey and pollen Queen cell empty and I could not find her she may have been flying. I will check back in a few days weather providing.   I really don't know what else I can do at this point. They will probably not make it if the queen doesn't come back and I only have the one hive. Its full of drones so no body else will want it either.  I am not going to give up   : )  I'm just slow at getting it together  I guess.
        > Marlene
        > NH
        >

        > ________________________________

      • husztek
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2013
          What's your mailing address?
          I'll loan you a queen.
          If you like her send me some money. If not, ah well that's life.

          ---- On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 18:00:56 -0700 Crzy-Pony<crzybishma@...> wrote ----

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1, 2013
            Your kidding ?  Think she will survive?
            Marlene
            NH

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 2, 2013
              Some hive bees and some workers still there I am hoping the queen  that maybe hatched will be back and fix things if not it will be a miracle if this hive pulls through with a mail order bride or gift. Right now we have been faced with many days of rain, I was wondering if I should pull some of the drones out to help conserve food supplies? What do you all think?
              Marlene
              NH

              If you still have plenty of workers and no brood, order a queen by US mail from suppliers in Georgia - she will get to you in 2 or 3 days, and you can take the cork out, puncture the candy, and place it between a couple brood frames, she will hopefully be released in a couple days and be accepted and start laying. Being in NH your season starts late so you may be able to get it going this year. I live in VA and I got a package less that three weeks ago and they got through the heat fine (USPS Priority) and have done great - I made an observation hive based on a 12 gallon acrylic aquarium with frames screwed at an angle on the top and deep foundation installed. They now have been drawing out about 7 combs, and have at least 4 combs with sealed worker brood. You can still pull this out this year! Good Luck,  Bob

              --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Crzy-Pony <crzybishma@...> wrote:

              > Well I check the hive today no brood  4 frames of honey and pollen Queen cell empty and I could not find her she may have been flying. I will check back in a few days weather providing.   I really don't know what else I can do at this point. They will probably not make it if the queen doesn't come back and I only have the one hive. Its full of drones so no body else will want it either.  I am not going to give up   : )  I'm just slow at getting it together  I guess.
              > Marlene
              > NH

              > ________________________________

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  Beekeeping-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  Beekeeping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Robert
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 2, 2013
                "Maybe hatched"? You need to know for sure by looking for her or signs that she is there and viable - mated and laying eggs- at the bottom of cells one per cell (they are very small). If she is not present the hive will be disturbed and unhappy, plus she chemically supresses laying workers, seen as multiple eggs on the side not bottom of cells. If no sign of her or her activity, if you introduce a queen via a cage (timed release)and she is accepted and starts laying, in a month you will have 1,000s of workers hatching out - by early August, they would then have two months to get up to speed. If you were to get someone in NH to give you a frame of young brood that they could make a queen from, you would still have lost another 3 weeks that you don't have. Best Wishes, Bob

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 2, 2013
                  Well there was a queen cell closed the last time I was in there and the next time it was open and the queen was not in the hive that I could see , No eggs at all and I had my glasses on too  LOL
                  Thanks
                  Marlene
                  NH

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 2, 2013
                    >>>   .... queen cell closed the last time I was in there and the next time
                    it was open and the queen was not in the hive that I could see , No eggs at all .....

                    Time Frame - You gave no time frame.  If you caught the queen cell 12 hours after the queen emerged, you would have a very hard time finding a virgin queen.  Time from emergence to the presence of eggs:  Depending on weather 10 to 15 or 20 days.  Usually closer to the 10 day time period.  2 or 3 days after emergence the queen would take an orienting flight, and then 2 or 3 days of mating flights which could be extended due to inclimate weather.  Then there is a 3 to 5 day period before she starts laying.  Don't give up on her yet.

                    Mike in LA
                  • Crzy-Pony
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 3, 2013
                      thanks Mike
                      Marlene
                      NH

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 5, 2013
                        Well went back into my hive No eggs and I could not find a queen and the hive seems very disorientated . I still have lots of drones :(  I checked both boxes in the area that the bees congregated in and still no eggs about 4 frames of honey.  If that spare queen is around I will give it a shot
                        Address
                        Marlene Bishop
                        4 Bald Hill Road
                        Raymond NH 03077

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 5, 2013
                          Marlene,

                          My spare got bought up locally.

                          Contact Risa at R. Weaver Apiaries. They are on the net, and have good bees and a fast turn around.

                          ---- On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 14:47:05 -0700 Crzy-Pony <crzybishma@...> wrote ----

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 8, 2013
                              Marlene,

                              Sorry for the turn around time.
                              Been outside more than in lately.

                              Weaver has two lines.
                              They are both priced the same.

                              You need to get with Risa today if you want her to ship this week.

                              ---- On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 15:09:07 -0700 Crzy-Pony<crzybishma@...> wrote ----