Re: [Beekeeping] Queen for sale

  • Crzy-Pony
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 25, 2013
      I was joking  I never thought of sending a Queen through the mail. Is it possible and is it truly worth it with the chance of  her dying and loosing the money.
      Marlene

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 25, 2013
        No, I don't think so.

        However, you have to understand these queens will already have traveled 1200 miles in U.S.P.S. regular mail when they get to me.

        They should have been caged and put in the mail today.
        I will get them on Thursday at the earliest. Friday if my postal carrier who is first off the boat Vietnamese and doesn't speak English does her usual routine of just giving me a undelivered mail notice for next day pickup.

        I normally give them water and some honey when I open them. Last shipment there were twelve. Then I put the word out to those who have asked about them that they can come pick them up. These happen ususally by Saturday pm. By then I will have watered them twice each day, and fed them one helping of honey each full day.

        Along with keeping them cool and in the dark for the most part, they are in excellent shape.
        I put the last of those 12 queens into my own hives on the following Thursday, a total of ten days in cage and they could have stayed longer.

        So, I didn't know if you were serious or not, but if so I was prepared to feed your queen and then ship her out overnight. You'd have to pay the FedEx charge along with the $30.00. No charge for caring and feeding for you girl while she's here.

        ---- On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:47:28 -0700 Crzy-Pony <crzybishma@...> wrote ----

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 26, 2013
          Do you know what the FEDX charge would be?  I paid 50 for two last year from a local in upper NH. One left ( didn't like the digs I guess)  and the other was killed by the mob. Again money down the drain. This has been a loosing battle for me for 5 years now, this is actually only the second time I have gotten a hive through the winter. AND now the queen is gone again and the hive is full of drones. When I checked last week the girls had a queen cell in the lower deep so when I get a chance I will go in again she has hatched and hope she can kick some bee butt and shape up the place. At this point I may or may not continue keeping bees. I enjoy them but losing them is hard and disappointing plus the money spent and lost :(  I don't think I will chance a queen through the mail at this point , at least not until I get a stable hive or two.
          Marlene
          NH

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 26, 2013
            Hi and Wow, Marlene.
            I personally wouldn't chance having queen bees reshipped a second time from VA to NH, after possibly having been mailed USPS from TX to VA. I would search for a more local source in NH, VT, MA or ME, or order them direct myself. I've been away from your area for a long time so haven't kept up with the local supply scene. I do have a friend Christy Hemenway of Gold Star Honeybees (and Hives) in Bath, ME who may be a good source of advice and information. Why don't you give her a call at (207)449-1121 or email to info@... ?

            baldbeeman
            COLORADO

            --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Crzy-Pony <crzybishma@...> wrote:

            > Do you know what the FEDX charge would be?  I paid 50 for two last year from a local in upper NH. One left ( didn't like the digs I guess)  and the other was killed by the mob. Again money down the drain. This has been a loosing battle for me for 5 years now, this is actually only the second time I have gotten a hive through the winter. AND now the queen is gone again and the hive is full of drones. When I checked last week the girls had a queen cell in the lower deep so when I get a chance I will go in again she has hatched and hope she can kick some bee butt and shape up the place. At this point I may or may not continue keeping bees. I enjoy them but losing them is hard and disappointing plus the money spent and lost :(  I don't think I will chance a queen through the mail at this point , at least not until I get a stable hive or two.
            > Marlene
            > NH
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Crzy-Pony
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 26, 2013
              Thanks But I think I am going to wait till I see what this hive is going to do
              Marlene
              NH

              ymailto="mailto:beekeeper@yahoogroups.com">beekeeper@yahoogroups.com>; Beekeeping <beekeeping@yahoogroups.com>

              ymailto="mailto:dave.taylor186@...">dave.taylor186@...> wrote ----