Finally took the plunge...

  • mamabear123123123
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2013
      I've been lurking for years, and just rejoined with my new email because I finally have my very own bees! So, now I have questions.

      I got the bees from friends who caught the swarm. I've had them for 3-4 weeks. 10 frame standard hive setup. They have drawn out 3 frames and are working on a 4th. A little is even capped. I fed them the first week but took the feeder out. I have checked the hive a couple times, but mostly I'm trying to leave them alone. They make the banana smell after a while when I'm checking them, and I don't want to irritate them too much. They seemed to be more on one side of the hive, so tonight I moved an empty frame from one side to the other, to reposition the bulk of the bees in the center. That may have been silly, but they were lopsided and it worried me.

      Question 1 - they seem to be drawing out comb really slow. But I'm new, so maybe this is fine. Should I put the feeder back in?

      Question 2 - I found several queen cells tonight. It was getting dark, and I didn't get a great look at them. I think they were all open. They are in with the regular cells and not hanging at the bottom. I think that means they are supersede cells and not swarm cells? I think that means I'm supposed to leave them alone? Uh, is that right? (No, I didn't look for the queen. I'm not sure I know enough to spot her if I did.)

      Question 3 - If I want to add my feeder back (It's the black plastic, hangs in place of a frame with ladders, type) can I put it in a second box of frames even though they're not done filling the bottom box? And also, is there a problem adding another box of frames before the previous is full? I always see people talking about adding *because* the previous is full, but no discussion about if it's bad to add before then.

      Thank you very much in advance.

      Mamabear
    • Kewisch, Jorg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 2013
        Welcome to the world of bee addicts.
        1) Put the feeder back on asap at least until the first box is filled.
        2) You are right. A colony from a swarm will most likely not swarm in the same year. let the bees sort it out.
        3) Don't give them more space than they can defend (against ants etc.). The rule is: if they have filled 1 box 80% you give them the next one.

        Are you in bear county?

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2013
          I think you are making a classic mistake when you move the bee cluster to the center of the hive box. Especially in a weak hive.

          From a defensive point of view you make your bees more vulnerable to attacks they can't deal with because now they have to fight off another side. Think Custer's Last Stand. The Indian were able to come from all sides and dart in, attack then retreat while another on the other side darted in attacked then retreated.
          My recommendation is let them stay to one side of the box, its safer

          Secondly in this, is its harder to heat or cool the cluster if its forced to be in the center. For brood production temperature maintenance is critical.

          Your idea of leaving the bees alone is good. But not for just a week at a time, leave them alone for a  month at a time. This allows them to conduct family affairs without being disturbed.

          Good luck

          Bill Husztek
          Black Squirrel Cottage Enterprises
          7558 Marshall Drive