Re: [Beekeeping] "True Source" certified

  • Tim Arheit
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
      Actually it does not " insure that the honey is USA farmed"  In fact, importers, and packers  can be members regardless of where the honey is from.  In fact they list 23 source countries.   All they really are attempting to do is show that the honey on the shelf is actually honey, or at least is reasonably believed to be honey,  as there is only periodic audits and testing.     It may be a step what the FDA is doing, but certainly doesn't mean USA produced honey.   It also puts beekeepers at a disadvantage since they can't use the certification themselves, even though they are the start of the certification 'chain'.   Only the packers can.

      Additionally, packers are allowed a certain percent of questionable and even non-compliant (ie. non certified) honey. (Currently 40% is allowed to be effectively non-certified and drops to 10% by 2015, still not what I would call completely trustworty, yet they get to sell 'certified' honey, but I cant)

      Most disturbing to me is that there is no fee for Packers, processors and exporters (ie. those with the most to gain from the program),   Only the requirements for North American Beekeepers and Importers list a fee.   Anyone else have a problem with that?    I can only hope they have to pay fees for their audits, but there is no mention of any additional fees.

      Any guesses who actually owns True Source Honey LLC?   The contact information is a law firm.  Their audit firm is in Germany and Financial audit firm is in India.    None of this inspires any confidence in their certification.

      -Tim

      On 6/24/2013 8:50 PM, karon wrote:

      Possibly, one of the things it does is insure that the honey is USA farmed. There is SO much honey being imported, especially from China. Wholesale honey prices are rock bottom due to the poundage being shipped over from  Asia. It is one reason, along with the ridiculous amount of regulations you have to submit too in order to legally sell a foodstuff. The FDA is a major pain in the butt.

      All of these things combined, often mean that real, home raised honey is nearly impossible to find. Truly organic even harder since nearly all honey raised for profit is highly medicated in order to increase production. They have to push production in order to produce enough honey to make the effort worthwhile. Meanwhile, all the honey ends up being pulled from the hive until the season is over, then the hive is fed over the winter until they begin to have forage. Just not worth it.

      I raise my honey as I see fit, not bothering to deal with inspectors for anything, I bottle my honey, myself and then use it for barter for folks who do things for me. Not a big deal. I don’t have honey by the ton but I DO tend to have it by the case. Or, at least I did last time I kept bees. We’ll see how my new hives do for me.

      Karon Adams

      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

      www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary