Clipped queen

  • Daryl
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013
      What are the advantages and disadvantages of having the wings clipped on your new queen that would be installed during a requeening?
    • Crzy-Pony
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013
        She can't pack her bags and leave with the "Mob" if she doesn't like her new home

        What are the advantages and disadvantages of having the wings clipped on your new queen that would be installed during a requeening?

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Beekeeping-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Beekeeping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • karon
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013

          If she’s clipped, she cannot fly a it ruins her flight symmetry. The good part of that is she won’t swarm. However, some hives will consider clipping to be a damage to the queen and will superseded her and kill her. Some people won’t have clipped queens, others won’t have anything other than clipped queens.

          Karon Adams

          Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

          You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

          www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary

          www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

          What are the advantages and disadvantages of having the wings clipped on your new queen that would be installed during a requeening?

        • Tim Arheit

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013

              Good point.  I don’t think I have ever had a clipped queen. I have, in the past, heard that some hives will reject a marked queen.

              Karon Adams

              Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

              You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

              www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary

              www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

              What are the advantages and disadvantages of having the wings clipped on your new queen that would be installed during a requeening?

            • Christopher Rappitt

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013

                  Wow. Really? And I thought groups like this were here to answer questions, share knowledge and experience and build social groups of similar interests. If everyone in a group is an expert, then why bother with the group? Is there are no knew things for a member to learn, they have no reason to hang around. In my experience with groups like this, the purpose is for experienced folks to help inexperienced folks and to share new experiences in the hopes of learning from them.

                  If one must be, already, an expert in order to be a member, then it becomes an experts only group where the only purpose is to pat one another on the back, reminding them how expert they all are.

                  I have rarely seen a group where name calling furthered very productive ends. I was always taught there was no such thing as a stupid question if you truly want the answer. I have never, before, run across a beekeeper who was not interested in answering questions about their hobby. Seems to me the biggest problem beekeeper face is lack of education. People who don’t know bees tend to think they are dangerous. Therefore, it remains for beekeepers to educate. One does that by telling people things they don’t know.

                  Even for an expert’s only back slapping society, that was rude.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013
                    Your not very nice

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013
                      Karon,

                      Christopher can't help it.
                      Being tremendously accomplished it is hard for him to relate to lesser mortals.

                      I for one was impressed with his economy of words.
                      Reminded me of something my Grandmother once told me.
                      I will reiterate it for Christopher.

                      "Some folks are able to show their back sides without bending over and dropping their drawers."
                      And over the years I have come to realize that on the net they don't even have to show their face to do it!

                      But now Christoper the rest of us will be waiting, lest you ever ask for advice or information from inferior mortals such as us. We will be certain to give you exactly what you need.

                      ---- On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 15:53:22 -0700 karon<karon@...> wrote ----

[...]

                      Bill Husztek
                      Black Squirrel Cottage Enterprises
                      7558 Marshall Drive
                      Annandale, VA 22003
                      703-573-8842
                    • Gary Ilmanen

                        --

                        Terms of Use:  I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California.  Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice.  There is a risk that employers and other third parties could read unencrypted e-Mail.  You should also know that under Presidential Executive Order, the National Security Agency or the Department of Homeland Security might read this e-Mail without warning, warrant, or notice. This e-Mail might contain information that is legally privileged attorney-client communication, attorney work product, proprietary, or otherwise protected by law from disclosure.  e-Mail is intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) named in the header. If you are not that person, you are hereby notified that reading, copying or distributing the contents of this e-Mail is prohibited.  If you have received this e-Mail in error, please immediately notify me and destroy all copies.  Unintended transmissions shall not constitute waiver of the attorney-client or any other privilege. Unless expressly stated to the contrary in this e-mail, nothing herein should be construed as a digital or electronic signature. Unauthorized interception of this e-mail is a criminal violation of Federal Law.  Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.

                      • Daryl Miller
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013
                          I'm not offended by Christopher's rude and obnoxious behavior. I don't know him personally or why he felt the need to have to send out a nasty email. But I do know this, the Bible says that we are to seek a multitude of godly counsel. I think that's also good advice for Beekeeping. I'm thankful that 99% of the beekeepers that I know are great folks who are patient and are a blessing and encouragement to me. The beekeepers that I know thought my question would be great to pose because a lot of beekeepers have different opinions about clipped queens.

                          Dr. Daryl Miller
                          Pastor
                          Maranatha Baptist Church
                          www.mbctx.org
                          My cell 956-802-1035
                        • Kewisch, Jorg
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013
                            Bill,
                            you have beautifully expressed what we all feel.

                            Jorg

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
                              Very Interesting and welcome reactions from all. My comments were intended to be highly provocative and inspire Constructive converse-  love you all x. Chris U.K.