RE: [Beekeeping] Re: strengthening a hive

  • karon
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 14, 2013

      That is also a good way to hold a hive while a new queen in en route. When you realize you are without a queen, grab a frame with eggs in it and they’ll, at least, be able to start a new queen. Even if you don’t want to keep the home raised queen it will keep them happy and focused until a known queen can arrive.

      The hive I installed earlier in the season tried to supersede as soon as I installed them. there are still some capped cells that look like they were drones. The package had a LOT of drones in it, then the queen was laying drones. I have since talked to some other folks who had the same problem from the same apiary. I don’t know what caused it. but, when I realized what was happening, I made certain to install known queens. I am assuming that the original queens weren’t well mated.

      The one I installed is finally up and running. Meanwhile, the hive next to it is very full. They’ll have their first super this weekend.  I am pretty pleased with the buildup since it has only been about 6-7 weeks.

      I don’t know if any of you have tried top bar hives but I’m planning to put a couple in, in the next few weeks to see how they do.

      Karon Adams

      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

      www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary