Re: [Beekeeping] Carpenter bees putting holes in my hive boxes

  • jetjockeybearup
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26 8:23 PM
      A good thick layer of paint is usually enough to discourage them.

      Sent from my iPad

      On May 26, 2013, at 2:04 PM, "Melanie" <mom2pups@...> wrote:

      Help!
      I have carpenter bees drilling holes in the sides of my hive boxes.
      How can I prevent/stop them?
      I know they are looking for a place to nest but I don't want them!

      Thanks
      Melanie in Kentucky

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29 9:09 PM
        You may also want to give them an option of where they can nest. I put an old pile of firewood next to my hives. The Carpenter bees drill into that old firewood -- not the bee boxes (which are painted and may also deter them).

        But, you're right. The Carpenter bees merely want a place to nest. Give it to them! They are wonderful tomato plant pollinators!

        Bill
        Sacramento, CA