Re: [Beekeeping] Re: Well, I think I am being superseded

  • BillOhio
    Message 1 of 8 , May 11, 2013
      Sorry, I forgot you know more about beekeeping than I do :). I would have taken a frame of capped brood from the good hive, maybe put all 3 in nucs if necessary so they could come along without having to defend as much space, and let them grow from there. Gotta go check my 8 nucs; should have some queens emerging today or tomorrow.

      On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 6:01 PM, karon <karon@...> wrote:

      Well, the problem here is that this is supposed to be a fresh queen. This is a newly installed package with the queen that came WITH the package.  But, yes, I am expecting the bees to supersede. I assume that is the plan, rather than a swarm. I cannot see ANY hive deciding to split with this small a group of bees with as much space as this brand new hive has. In anticipation of this action, I have done something I have thought about doing when I next install a new hive. I have put out a nice white sheet in front of the hive. So, when Marie is Antoinetted, I will know it. much like the basket provided to the French predecessor of this office<G>

      Karon Adams

      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

      www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary

      www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

      Message 2 of 8 , May 11, 2013

        Never said I knew more than you do and I’m very sorry if I gave that impression. But, the fact is,. Your suggestion would be a great idea in an ideal world. In a bee field that had several other hives bussing alongside. But, that is not what I have. I have a back yard with two brand new hives and that is it. I don’t HAVE a full strength hive from which I can snick a frame of brood and shake out some young bees. Just don’t have them. Sorry.

        Not a function of thinking I know more than you or think badly of your suggestion just the simple fact of the impossibility of your suggestion since I don’t HAVE a hive that has enough bees or brood to make this possible,

        But thanks for the help and the condescension! It really made the problem much easier to manage.