Re: Well, I think I am being superseded

  • mdudley
    Message 1 of 8 , May 9, 2013
      I would let them supersede. Unless you are planning on getting a queen that is local, a daughter that is locally mated would be more likely to lay eggs that are genetically aligned with your local area and climate, as she would hopefully mate with local feral bees that are doing well without any assistance. She may have been injured, or not laying well for some other reason other than genetics, and her daughter will only have half her genes anyway, the other half from the drone which fertilized the egg. Then that queen will mate, and those daughters will have only 1/4 of the genes from your present queen, so what you get can vary widely, as can any open mated queen from a breeder as well.

      But having genetics from bees that have thrived in your area cannot be understated.

      Marshall

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "karon" <karon@...> wrote:

      > Just took a look at my hives. Hive 2 looks great! Solidly raising brood. Two
      > full well formed frames of capped brood. A frame and a half of open brood
      > and a lovely queen wandering across the rest of the hive.
      >

      > Then, Hive 1. Ah, hive one. The cells are being drawn but the height is not
      > even across frames. That makes me nervous. There IS some brood and one frame
      > has some capped brood. I'm not happy with the pattern, though. On the oldest
      > frame, however, is a closed superseding queen cell and several closed drone
      > cells. The queen is there and walking around. But, her mark seems to be
      > chipped. I wonder if she is simply not up to snuff and they plan to get rid
      > of her. I have a few pictures and posted them on my local but underused
      > beekeeper's facebook page. I can send pics if anyone wants to see them.
      >

      > Should I let them do their thing and, in the meantime, order a new queen?
      > Or, just let them do what they want? If they raise a new queen, she won't be
      > that much better than the one they have since she will be the daughter of
      > the one they have.
      >

      > Karon Adams
      >
      > Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)
      >
      > You can send a Rosary to a soldier!
      >
      > www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary
      >
      > www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

    • mommyhen42
      Message 2 of 8 , May 10, 2013
        your old queen has likely used up her sperm packets, which is why the pattern is no longer a good one.
        The new queen would be fresh so she would be far superior to your failing queen. I would let them supersceede as you will be getting a queen that is of stock acclimated to your area, and she will be mating with local drones.
        This can only be a win win situation
        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "karon" <karon@...> wrote:

        > Just took a look at my hives. Hive 2 looks great! Solidly raising brood. Two
        > full well formed frames of capped brood. A frame and a half of open brood
        > and a lovely queen wandering across the rest of the hive.
        >

        > Then, Hive 1. Ah, hive one. The cells are being drawn but the height is not
        > even across frames. That makes me nervous. There IS some brood and one frame
        > has some capped brood. I'm not happy with the pattern, though. On the oldest
        > frame, however, is a closed superseding queen cell and several closed drone
        > cells. The queen is there and walking around. But, her mark seems to be
        > chipped. I wonder if she is simply not up to snuff and they plan to get rid
        > of her. I have a few pictures and posted them on my local but underused
        > beekeeper's facebook page. I can send pics if anyone wants to see them.
        >

        > Should I let them do their thing and, in the meantime, order a new queen?
        > Or, just let them do what they want? If they raise a new queen, she won't be
        > that much better than the one they have since she will be the daughter of
        > the one they have.
        >

        > Karon Adams
        >
        > Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)
        >
        > You can send a Rosary to a soldier!
        >
        > www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary
        >
        > www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

      • BillOhio
        Message 3 of 8 , May 10, 2013
          A live queen is a queen that is producing brood and potentially honey. What I would (and just did Sunday) is take the old queen out and put her in a separate nuc with CAPPED brood, honey and pollen, and a generous shake of young bees in front of the nuc. These will walk in and be accepted. Now you have two colonies instead of one. If the queen is indeed failing, no harm has been done--you can use the frames in the nuc for whatever purpose they are needed at the time. If she turns out to be okay, which happens a lot, you'll have three colonies rather than two to work with.

          On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM, mommyhen42 <mommyhen42@...> wrote:

          your old queen has likely used up her sperm packets, which is why the pattern is no longer a good one.
          The new queen would be fresh so she would be far superior to your failing queen. I would let them supersceede as you will be getting a queen that is of stock acclimated to your area, and she will be mating with local drones.
          This can only be a win win situation

          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "karon" <karon@...> wrote:

          > Just took a look at my hives. Hive 2 looks great! Solidly raising brood. Two
          > full well formed frames of capped brood. A frame and a half of open brood
          > and a lovely queen wandering across the rest of the hive.
          >

          > Then, Hive 1. Ah, hive one. The cells are being drawn but the height is not
          > even across frames. That makes me nervous. There IS some brood and one frame
          > has some capped brood. I'm not happy with the pattern, though. On the oldest
          > frame, however, is a closed superseding queen cell and several closed drone
          > cells. The queen is there and walking around. But, her mark seems to be
          > chipped. I wonder if she is simply not up to snuff and they plan to get rid
          > of her. I have a few pictures and posted them on my local but underused
          > beekeeper's facebook page. I can send pics if anyone wants to see them.
          >

          > Should I let them do their thing and, in the meantime, order a new queen?
          > Or, just let them do what they want? If they raise a new queen, she won't be
          > that much better than the one they have since she will be the daughter of
          > the one they have.
          >

          > Karon Adams
          >
          > Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)
          >
          > You can send a Rosary to a soldier!
          >
          > www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary
          >
          > www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

        • karon
          Message 4 of 8 , May 10, 2013

            Well, the problem here is that this is supposed to be a fresh queen. This is a newly installed package with the queen that came WITH the package.  But, yes, I am expecting the bees to supersede. I assume that is the plan, rather than a swarm. I cannot see ANY hive deciding to split with this small a group of bees with as much space as this brand new hive has. In anticipation of this action, I have done something I have thought about doing when I next install a new hive. I have put out a nice white sheet in front of the hive. So, when Marie is Antoinetted, I will know it. much like the basket provided to the French predecessor of this office<G>

            Message 5 of 8 , May 10, 2013

              This would, ordinarily, be a good idea but, since the hive is brand new, with almost NO brood and NO  drawn comb to help them start. Doing this would mean the end of one hive or the other<G> I’m just going to have to wait and let them do what they will and make a decision from there.

                Message 7 of 8 , May 11, 2013

                  Never said I knew more than you do and I’m very sorry if I gave that impression. But, the fact is,. Your suggestion would be a great idea in an ideal world. In a bee field that had several other hives bussing alongside. But, that is not what I have. I have a back yard with two brand new hives and that is it. I don’t HAVE a full strength hive from which I can snick a frame of brood and shake out some young bees. Just don’t have them. Sorry.

                  Not a function of thinking I know more than you or think badly of your suggestion just the simple fact of the impossibility of your suggestion since I don’t HAVE a hive that has enough bees or brood to make this possible,

                  But thanks for the help and the condescension! It really made the problem much easier to manage.