Re: Honeycomb cell sizing tool

  • mdudley
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2013
      Transparencies is a good idea. For other scales, simply add horizontal lines at the correct place. But it is pretty easy to see for instance if it is more than 4.9 and less than 5.1, just how much more or less and still get a pretty good estimate. Another nice thing is that the divisions quickly show if cell sizes are inconsistent.

      Marshall

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Tim Arheit <tarheit@...> wrote:

      > Great idea... would be great to see other scales in between too. I'll
      > have to see if I still have some old laser printer transparencies I can
      > print this on.
      >
      > -Tim
      >
      > On 5/8/2013 12:35 PM, mdudley@... wrote:
      > >
      > > I have found that using a normal scale, or caliper to try and measure
      > > cell size of honeycomb difficult or almost impossible without someone
      > > to assist in holding the comb. Holding the scale still, and trying to
      > > count the 10 cells to read off the size requires more skill than I can
      > > muster. The biggest problem is getting the cell count right, since if
      > > you put 11 cells which are 4.9 it will look like 5.4 or 9 5.4 cells it
      > > will look like 4.9.
      > >
      > > So I created a tool to make this easy. It has scales for 5.4, 5.1 and
      > > 4.9 mm cell sizes, and is marked off so that you can quickly determine
      > > you are covering exactly 10 cells. I make 3 copies of it and fold down
      > > or cut along the horizontal line for each size. Then it is very easy
      > > to hold the edge of the scale up to the comb, verify that all the
      > > cells align with the markings and see which size it is.
      > >
      > > I tried uploading the tool to the photos section of this group, but
      > > yahoo resized it making the whole thing useless. This requires
      > > printing at 600 dpi, which I think is pretty standard with printers.
      > > Verify after printing that the scale did print the correct size.
      > >
      > > http://execonn.com/scale2.jpg
      > >
      > > Marshall

    • George Johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2013
        I am always looking for multi-use items.  If this tool is made heavy enough then it could be used to flick bee stingers out.

        I also like the transparent option.  What about the credit card size plastic magnifying cards?

        Hope this helps,
        George
        High Point, NC

        George Johnson
      • mdudley
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2013
          I was thinking of pasting them to each side of a putty knife. They are already sharp on the end which would work well for stingers. Only problem is that they only have two sides, so you would have to choose which "sizes" to use.

          Marshall