Re: [Beekeeping] Swarm traps

  • Thomas Janstrom
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2013
      Hi,

      What you could try is what the keeper in this video from the 70's does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7M1X0bWYyo If you want to avoid splits.

      Cheers, Thomas.

      On 4/05/2013 10:19 AM, Daryl Miller wrote:

      The reason why I don't want to split them is because I don't want to stop or slow down the honey production. Plus, they're a little bit aggressive and I would prefer not bother them too much. It's a lot easier to add supers.

      Dr. Daryl Miller
      Pastor
      Maranatha Baptist Church
      www.mbctx.org
      My cell 956-802-1035

    • Daryl Miller
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2013
        Fascinating video

        Dr. Daryl Miller
        Pastor
        Maranatha Baptist Church
        www.mbctx.org
        My cell 956-802-1035
      • mdudley
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2013
          How on earth do they ever figure out which is their colony? Even I would be confused by the maze of skeps they have.

          Skeps are illegal in my state, interesting they still use them elsewhere. I guess they are ideal for swarm production and capture, but seem worthless for honey production.

          Marshall

          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Miller <pastordarylmiller@...> wrote:

          > Fascinating video
          >
          > Dr. Daryl Miller
          > Pastor
          > Maranatha Baptist Church
          > www.mbctx.org
          > My cell 956-802-1035

        • Thomas Janstrom
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2013
            I'm betting drift is a real issue (in other videos he moves them around to compensate). Yes not a productive way to keep bees and for sure it is wasteful of both bees and drawn comb.

            They are illegal in my country too.....

            I just like the swarm net thingy he uses to catch his prime swarms, very neat idea.....

            Thomas.