Re: [Beekeeping] Swarm traps

  • Jorg Kewisch
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2013
      Daryl,

      what I heard from my bee-teacher is that swarms like to settle a mile
      away to minimize competition with the original hive. So your own swarms
      will most likely not end up in your bait hive in your own yard, but in
      the walls of a house a mile away. But that is OK, you don't know those
      people and they don't know that those are your bees.

      However, the bees from the "bee-haver" who lives a mile away may come to
      your direct neighbor's house, and he will blame you. So a bait hive in
      your yard, 50 feet away from your bees, might prevent that problem.

      If you think your own bees will swarm why not split them before they do
      and not leave it to chance?

      Jorg

      On 05/02/2013 08:08 PM, Daryl wrote:
      > If you're going to put a swarm trap or bait trap up to pick up a
      > possible swarm from your own hive, how far away should it be from your hive?

    • Daryl Miller
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2013
        The reason why I don't want to split them is because I don't want to stop or slow down the honey production. Plus, they're a little bit aggressive and I would prefer not bother them too much. It's a lot easier to add supers.

        Dr. Daryl Miller
        Pastor
        Maranatha Baptist Church
        www.mbctx.org
        My cell 956-802-1035
      • Thomas Janstrom

          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2013
            Fascinating video

            Dr. Daryl Miller
            Pastor
            Maranatha Baptist Church
            www.mbctx.org
            My cell 956-802-1035
          • mdudley
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2013
              How on earth do they ever figure out which is their colony? Even I would be confused by the maze of skeps they have.

              Skeps are illegal in my state, interesting they still use them elsewhere. I guess they are ideal for swarm production and capture, but seem worthless for honey production.

              Marshall

              --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Miller <pastordarylmiller@...> wrote:

              > Fascinating video
              >
              > Dr. Daryl Miller
              > Pastor
              > Maranatha Baptist Church
              > www.mbctx.org
              > My cell 956-802-1035

            • Thomas Janstrom
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2013
                I'm betting drift is a real issue (in other videos he moves them around to compensate). Yes not a productive way to keep bees and for sure it is wasteful of both bees and drawn comb.

                They are illegal in my country too.....

                I just like the swarm net thingy he uses to catch his prime swarms, very neat idea.....

                Thomas.