Swarm traps

  • Daryl
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2 5:08 PM
      If you're going to put a swarm trap or bait trap up to pick up a possible swarm from your own hive, how far away should it be from your hive?
    • Jorg Kewisch
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3 9:49 AM
        Daryl,

        what I heard from my bee-teacher is that swarms like to settle a mile
        away to minimize competition with the original hive. So your own swarms
        will most likely not end up in your bait hive in your own yard, but in
        the walls of a house a mile away. But that is OK, you don't know those
        people and they don't know that those are your bees.

        However, the bees from the "bee-haver" who lives a mile away may come to
        your direct neighbor's house, and he will blame you. So a bait hive in
        your yard, 50 feet away from your bees, might prevent that problem.

        If you think your own bees will swarm why not split them before they do
        and not leave it to chance?

        Jorg

        On 05/02/2013 08:08 PM, Daryl wrote:
        > If you're going to put a swarm trap or bait trap up to pick up a
        > possible swarm from your own hive, how far away should it be from your hive?

      • Daryl Miller
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3 5:19 PM
          The reason why I don't want to split them is because I don't want to stop or slow down the honey production. Plus, they're a little bit aggressive and I would prefer not bother them too much. It's a lot easier to add supers.

          Dr. Daryl Miller
          Pastor
          Maranatha Baptist Church
          www.mbctx.org
          My cell 956-802-1035
        • Thomas Janstrom

            Message 5 of 7 , May 4 6:40 AM
              Fascinating video

              Dr. Daryl Miller
              Pastor
              Maranatha Baptist Church
              www.mbctx.org
              My cell 956-802-1035
            • mdudley
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4 7:28 AM
                How on earth do they ever figure out which is their colony? Even I would be confused by the maze of skeps they have.

                Skeps are illegal in my state, interesting they still use them elsewhere. I guess they are ideal for swarm production and capture, but seem worthless for honey production.

                Marshall

                --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Miller <pastordarylmiller@...> wrote:

                > Fascinating video
                >
                > Dr. Daryl Miller
                > Pastor
                > Maranatha Baptist Church
                > www.mbctx.org
                > My cell 956-802-1035

              • Thomas Janstrom
                Message 7 of 7 , May 4 3:57 PM
                  I'm betting drift is a real issue (in other videos he moves them around to compensate). Yes not a productive way to keep bees and for sure it is wasteful of both bees and drawn comb.

                  They are illegal in my country too.....

                  I just like the swarm net thingy he uses to catch his prime swarms, very neat idea.....

                  Thomas.