two packages installed

  • Gary Glaenzer
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 2:57 PM
      picked them up Saturday at Hamilton IL

      yesterday was a thoroughly crappy day here in western IL, 50 degrees and
      raining, so kept them under a towel inside

      today warmed up nicely, 75 degrees so I mixed some 1:1 and mopped it onto
      the cage sides till they wouldn't take any more

      grandkids came over after school, I got them suited up and we got started

      I had some partly drawn combs from last year, so put 4 of them in each hive,
      also a frame about 1/3 of one side full of honey

      pulled the feed can, retrieved the queen cage removed the cork and replaced
      it with a piece of paper towel soaked in the 1:1

      hung it between the two middle partly-drawn combs, dumped them over the cage
      and frames

      repeat on second hive; by that time most had gone down in the first, slid on
      inner cover, brushed hangers-on off the upper edges, put on outer covers

      repeat on # 2

      put entrance feeders on and reduced openings to about 1/3 of 'regular'

      already I have a few coming in with yellow 'dandelion legs'

      grandkids were thrilled to hold the queen cage and see the 'big bee'

      tried to explain that there are three kinds of bees, but didn't think a
      lengthy discussion about the drone's function was called for today, so told
      them drones just kind of hang around doing nothing

      the grandson said 'So drones are Slacker Bees ?? '

      now THAT is funny !!