Re: [Beekeeping] no drawn comb

  • husztek
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 26, 2013
      Do you have a queen?

      Without her, they may not have any impetus to work on hive building.
      Here in Virginia I just installed four packages this week, and delayed three of them for three days. When I finally got to them, they were combing the sugar syrup can, and the queen cage into place with drawn wax.
      Last week I was on a swarm call where they were on the back of an SUV.
      I coaxed what I could into a box, then opened the tailgate because they kept coming out of the crack between body and tailgate.
      They had bearded the tailgate piston, and were well on their way to encombing it into a hive structure as well as having laid down a foundation for more comb all across the tailgate opening on the body.
      This all in less than two days of being left to themselves.

      So, I'm guessing you may need a queen.

      ---- On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:31:49 -0700 carol zaworski <SISTERCAROLZ@...> wrote ----

      My hives are in Lincoln, Ca.  When I inspected today, I was surprised that my top box did not have any drawn comb.  My hive is 6 medium boxes high.  It is full of bees.  It appears there are alot of bees just hanging out in that top box, not making any wax.  I use plastic foundation. Any ideas on why there is no drawn comb?? I put the box on 3 weeks ago.

      Thank you

      Carol

      Bill Husztek
      Black Squirrel Cottage Enterprises
      7558 Marshall Drive
      Annandale, VA 22003
      703-573-8842
    • LINDA PICAZO
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013
        I have had several people say they couldnt get the bees to work on the plastic foundation. I have never tried it though.

        Linda Picazo
        linda_diana1@...

        My hives are in Lincoln, Ca.  When I inspected today, I was surprised that my top box did not have any drawn comb.  My hive is 6 medium boxes high.  It is full of bees.  It appears there are alot of bees just hanging out in that top box, not making any wax.  I use plastic foundation. Any ideas on why there is no drawn comb?? I put the box on 3 weeks ago.

        Thank you

        Carol
      • Marie Taylor
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013
          I know when I got my 2 hives last year, the 2 survivors are nucs.  They came with 5 frames each of either wax or foundationless frames.  All I had at the time was plastic foundation to put in(I didn't know any better). Well both hives made it through the winter doing great.  But they don't like the plastic at all.  The smaller of the 2 won't draw any comb out on the plastic at all.  The larger drew a little comb out in the deeps but not much.  I put a medium on in the fall with sc wax foundation and they had it drawn out in about a week. So now I know I will only use wax foundation when I use foundation.

          Marie

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013
            >>>  I was surprised that my top box did not have any drawn comb.

            Try luring them up with a frame of brood right in the middle of the box.

            Mike in LA
          • Marie Taylor
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013
              I was going to put a trap out today but nothing worked in my favor.  I am going to use a box that my one hive is not drawing out as it is the only foundation I have at the moment.  I took the box off the hive but the bees were still on it.  The are crawling all over it but not drawing it out.  So I just left the box next to the hive waiting for them to migrate back to the hive.  I won't be able to go back out to the hive tomorrow so I will set up the trap on Tuesday.  I can't wait .  I saw a large amount of feral bees flying around yesterday.  I hope they like my hive box and decide to make it home.

              Marie

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013
                >>>   I was going to put a trap out today....  I am going to use a box that my one hive is not drawing out as
                it is the only foundation I have at the moment.

                Take one frame of drawn comb, no brood, and swap with a frame of foundation.  Place the drawn frame in the middle of the box of foundation.  Also, if you can get some lemon grass oil, place a dab, less than a drop, on an upper corner of the frame of drawn comb.  Both the drawn comb and and lemon grass oil scent will act as an attractant to scout bees.  Make the entrance one or two bees wide.

                Mike in LA
              • Marie Taylor
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013

                  I will steal a frame of comb from the stronger hive when I go up on Tues.  I has put another box of wax foundation for them and they took to it right away but haven't started storing honey on it yet.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013
                    See if you can find a small bottle of lemon grass oil at a health foods store.  Remember, a little bit goes a long way.  Three drops in a very small plastic vial with a pin hole in the top will last for months.  If you can find an old frame of comb out on the edge of the hive, that would work better than a newly drawn frame of comb.  Old comb has pheromones that are good attractants to scout bees for swarms.

                    Mike in LA
                  • Marie Taylor
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013
                      I will see what I have.  Sadly I don't have a surplus of frames yet.  I am just building up as i go.  I got the lemongrass oil already.

                      Marie

                      See if you can find a small bottle of lemon grass oil at a health foods store.  Remember, a little bit goes a long way.  Three drops in a very small plastic vial with a pin hole in the top will last for months.  If you can find an old frame of comb out on the edge of the hive, that would work better than a newly drawn frame of comb.  Old comb has pheromones that are good attractants to scout bees for swarms.

                      Mike in LA

                    • Crzy-Pony
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013
                        this is on ebay

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013
                          I have the lemongrass oil, I got it at the health food store.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013
                            Are there any beekeeping clubs located near you?  Are you associated with any beekeeping associations?

                            Mike in LA

                          • red853
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 28, 2013
                              There is nothing really local.  I get help when I need it from the guy I buy my bees some supplies from

                              Sent from my iPhone