Pollen resources

  • mdudley
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25 9:40 AM
      Trying to figure out what pollen the bees are bringing in can be a challenge. I have found a couple of resources which can help you know what is producing pollen at the time, and what the colors are.

      First the colors, how good a honey source it is, and to some extent when they bloom can be found at:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source

      This gives dates which are very broad since they are not keyed to any specific region, so one has to narrow them down to the earlier side in the south, and later side in the north.

      The other resource I found give sources which are producing pollen at that time in your zip code. This resource focuses on allergies, so many of the pollens which do not tend to cause allergies, such as crops, will not be listed. It is at:

      http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/allergies/almanac/37919

      Note that is for a zip code in Knoxville TN. Change the zip at the end of the link to your zip to see your area. On that page, you can move the cursor over a date, then click on the "click for more" which will appear to see which sources are contributing the pollen.

      Marshall