RE: [Beekeeping] Now sure what has happened

  • karon
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2013

      Well, I think that is precisely what happened. Someone on a facebook beekeeping group recommended turning one hive 180 and stealing some bees from the heavy hive and putting them in the light one.  I turned one and was preparing to do that when I noticed the difference was only 5 frames covered to 3 so I left it. I didn’t even think about them being from the same hive. DUH!

      Meanwhile, I made an UTTERLY stupid move when I installed them. I popped the wrong flippin cork!!  I was SO mad when I realized it! So, I started in the light hive to see if the queen had been accepted. There she was, bold as brass on the bottom of the middle frame. I didn’t hunt doe the queen in the heavy hive because there was a storm coming in and they were mad enough, already<G>

      So, on theory that both packages were probably filled at the same time and, if one queen had been in the package long enough to be immediately accepted, the other should have been as well.

      I looked around the front of the hive for a dead queen and never found one. So, I am assuming they are both in there, laying eggs and running the workers ragged! I have seen newly established hives where the queen starts laying and the workers can barley build the comb and keep it a fraction of a centimeter higher than the developing larvae!!

      Oh, wanna hear the OTHER stupid I pulled?  I started my smoker and let it smoulder while I suited up. Had everything on and my hat and veil tied in place, smoked both hives and started opening. When I pulled out a frame and started looking, I made an interesting realization. I had forgotten my glasses!  I only need them for close work so things like lighting the smoker and dressing to need them. <sigh>  So, I closed the hives, unsuited and let the calm down a little.

      Went back about an hour later and that was when I found my first queen. Still with no sign of dead queen on the ground, I closed everyone and went inside. It was starting to storm so, I thought I’d let them go back to work.  I’ll check them again, tomorrow, weather permitting. And I’ll keep watching hive 1 to hope to spot a dead queen if one appears outside.

      Karon Adams

      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

      www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary