Re: Question .. salvaged .. pallets ; foreign source

  • mdudley
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 19, 2013
      Pallets are made from the cheapest cut of wood possible, and they only need to last for a few weeks. Impregnated wood is expensive and for long term use. I would be very surprised if any pallet wood is treated in any way. If they wanted to preserve them at all, then paint or varnish would be much, much cheaper than impregnating.

      Marshall

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Mike S <mws1112004@...> wrote:

      > Coming from overseas, I would wonder if it had not been treated with some type of insecticide.  If you have the time, do a test.  Make one or two hives or bee equipment from the wood and run bees in it for a year or two and see how the bees cope.  I would think that if the wood has been impregnated with an insecticide that would effect the bees, you would see the results within a year or so of running bees on the wood.  When working with the wood though, be sure to use a good quality respirator in case there is insecticide in the wood.  And.... safely dispose of the sawdust and scrap material.
      >
      > Mike in LA

    • Bill D
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21, 2013
        I did some googling. I think DE MV is

        and IPPC is

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Plant_Protection_Convention

        of course these are WAGs.

        On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM, Thomas Janstrom <t_janstrom@...> wrote:

        Ok so I scored the delivery pallets/crates for some medical imaging
        equipment from Germany and I'm wondering if I can use it to build either
        hive bodies or associated equipment.

        The timber itself is Russian in origin, and is stamped with a wheat ear
        in a box with IPPC on it, and in a separate box there is the following:
        DE MV next line 49005 next line HT. Outside these boxes is 4 6/12 (I
        think this is pallet make date as they all have that).

        So I know the HT is high temperature, but I'm not sure about the rest,
        and the timber is the best I've ever seen in packing crates in my life
        as it would be a shame if I couldn't make some use of it.

        Cheers, Thomas.

        --
        Respectfully,
        Bill Dickerson