Question about salvaged wood from pallets

  • Thomas Janstrom
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 19 3:46 PM
      Ok so I scored the delivery pallets/crates for some medical imaging
      equipment from Germany and I'm wondering if I can use it to build either
      hive bodies or associated equipment.

      The timber itself is Russian in origin, and is stamped with a wheat ear
      in a box with IPPC on it, and in a separate box there is the following:
      DE MV next line 49005 next line HT. Outside these boxes is 4 6/12 (I
      think this is pallet make date as they all have that).

      So I know the HT is high temperature, but I'm not sure about the rest,
      and the timber is the best I've ever seen in packing crates in my life
      as it would be a shame if I couldn't make some use of it.

      Cheers, Thomas.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 19 3:59 PM
        >>>   ... timber is the best I've ever seen in packing crates in my life as it would be a shame if I couldn't make some use of it.

        Coming from overseas, I would wonder if it had not been treated with some type of insecticide.  If you have the time, do a test.  Make one or two hives or bee equipment from the wood and run bees in it for a year or two and see how the bees cope.  I would think that if the wood has been impregnated with an insecticide that would effect the bees, you would see the results within a year or so of running bees on the wood.  When working with the wood though, be sure to use a good quality respirator in case there is insecticide in the wood.  And.... safely dispose of the sawdust and scrap material.

        Mike in LA
      • Thomas Janstrom
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 19 5:05 PM
          Ok after much digging online I found some more info, HT does indeed mean high temperature (>65C), DE is for Germany (Deutshland), still trying to find MV though it likely means Maldives. So long as it doesn't have MB it's safe for insects (MB is methyl Bromide), the numbers are the plant that made the boxes ISO identifier. So I think I'm good to go.

          As always when working with timber you should wear a dust mask as all wood dust is toxic to some extent.

          I'll keep any gear I make CLEARLY marked so I can track issues if they come up.....

          Cheers, Thomas.

          On 20/04/2013 8:59 AM, Mike S wrote:

          >>>   ... timber is the best I've ever seen in packing crates in my life as it would be a shame if I couldn't make some use of it.

          Coming from overseas, I would wonder if it had not been treated with some type of insecticide.  If you have the time, do a test.  Make one or two hives or bee equipment from the wood and run bees in it for a year or two and see how the bees cope.  I would think that if the wood has been impregnated with an insecticide that would effect the bees, you would see the results within a year or so of running bees on the wood.  When working with the wood though, be sure to use a good quality respirator in case there is insecticide in the wood.  And.... safely dispose of the sawdust and scrap material.

          Mike in LA

        • mdudley
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 19 5:37 PM
            Pallets are made from the cheapest cut of wood possible, and they only need to last for a few weeks. Impregnated wood is expensive and for long term use. I would be very surprised if any pallet wood is treated in any way. If they wanted to preserve them at all, then paint or varnish would be much, much cheaper than impregnating.

            Marshall

            --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Mike S <mws1112004@...> wrote:

            > Coming from overseas, I would wonder if it had not been treated with some type of insecticide.  If you have the time, do a test.  Make one or two hives or bee equipment from the wood and run bees in it for a year or two and see how the bees cope.  I would think that if the wood has been impregnated with an insecticide that would effect the bees, you would see the results within a year or so of running bees on the wood.  When working with the wood though, be sure to use a good quality respirator in case there is insecticide in the wood.  And.... safely dispose of the sawdust and scrap material.
            >
            > Mike in LA

          • Bill D
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 21 7:33 PM
              I did some googling. I think DE MV is