Re: Newbee finally started

  • mdudley
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18, 2013
      They only took about an eighth of a jar on mine in the last 4 days. I just removed it, much of what was taken was possibly from robbing anyway.

      I obtained my nuc last Sunday. I was suppose to have gotten an 8 month old laying queen from a surviving hive because all the regular nucs are so far behind due to the late spring. But when I got it he said it looks like the hive had just swarmed and the queen was new (still had her fuzz). I got some capped brood, and some eggs through larvae as well in the nuc. Now when I check there are no eggs, and no larvae under about 5 days old. The queen is there though, and seemed healthy. There was one queen cell at the bottom of one of the combs, but it was empty.

      I am not sure why there are no eggs. The only thing I can think of is that she was a virgin when I got the nuc, and recently, or maybe not even yet, taken her mating flight. It does have me a bit concerned, but the bees are bringing in pollen, so it appears they are expecting to be feeding more larvae shortly.

      I put empty frames (with comb guides) next to the 3 frame nuc drawn comb with frames with foundation next to it, to try and get them to build the comb straight and where I want it. That seems to be working, but they seemed to have started 4 combs at the top, and are just now getting to the point where they will come together. They are drawn only about 1/4 as much as I had hoped. I guess I will check them again next week, and the queen will hopefully be laying, and I can move these newly drawn combs into the middle of the brood area. I am not sure what size they are drawing, I managed to lose my dial caliper after opening the hive, only to find it in my pocket later.

      Marshall