Use of chlorine dioxice for storing empty combs
- Has anyone ever used chlorine dioxide for storing old combs? It seems ideal, it is a gas, but breaks down within an hour. It can be generated inexpensively using packets such as these: http://www.amazon.com/Star-NosGUARD-Mildew-Control-System/dp/B004O0FP4S or http://www.quiplabs.com/products/deotrex_30sachets.htm
The stuff kills mold, spores, and moths, and is sold as both a mildew, fungus and mold killer, as well as protection from moths for use in closets. However because it breaks down so quickly many municipalities now use it to disinfect their water supplies.
It is even used to kill parasites in the human body as something labeled as MMS. Seems ideal since it will stop anything that attacks the combs, yet should leave NO residue at all, although I would not use it on any combs with honey. One should be able to use it and not even have to freeze the combs.