Uncapping frames

  • Daryl
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 6, 2013
      What are the pros and cons regarding uncapping frames using heat Blow dryer versus a knife? Can you use any blowdryer or do you need something that gets up to a certain temperature?
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 6, 2013
        >>>  ... pros and cons regarding uncapping frames using heat Blow dryer versus a knife?

        melting point range of 62 to 64 °C (144 to 147 °F).
        Commercial bottlers heat up to 150º for a very short period of time.  Remember, 144 to 147º just barely gets the wax melted.  Heating the honey right underneath the wax cappings is going to ruin the taste.  Had not heard of melting wax cappings to open the comb up for extraction.

        Mike in LA
      • Thomas Powell
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 6, 2013
          This is the best I have used or seen so far.

          Thomas

          On Apr 6, 2013, at 18:55, Mike S <mws1112004@...> wrote:

          >>>  ... pros and cons regarding uncapping frames using heat Blow dryer versus a knife?

          melting point range of 62 to 64 °C (144 to 147 °F).
          Commercial bottlers heat up to 150º for a very short period of time.  Remember, 144 to 147º just barely gets the wax melted.  Heating the honey right underneath the wax cappings is going to ruin the taste.  Had not heard of melting wax cappings to open the comb up for extraction.

          Mike in LA

        • Stephen Hart
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 7, 2013
            Does anyone feel that removing the caps with a heated uncapping knife negatively impacts the taste of the honey? I've used the comb and the heated knife and have seen people use an electric reciprocating serrated knife. Anything better out there?
          • LINDA PICAZO
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 7, 2013
              heating the honey rids of its nutritional value

              Linda Picazo
              linda_diana1@...

              >>>  ... pros and cons regarding uncapping frames using heat Blow dryer versus a knife?

              melting point range of 62 to 64 °C (144 to 147 °F).
              Commercial bottlers heat up to 150º for a very short period of time.  Remember, 144 to 147º just barely gets the wax melted.  Heating the honey right underneath the wax cappings is going to ruin the taste.  Had not heard of melting wax cappings to open the comb up for extraction.

              Mike in LA
            • Thomas Janstrom
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 7, 2013
                The method being discussed involves heating the capping wax to just on its melting point, the honey in the cell never goes above the 65-70C (148-158F), if it even gets close is a bigger question. honey doesn't heat fast, it has a lot of thermal inertia/mass so would tend to stay close to the original temperature of the frame anyway. This is just like using a heated knife to uncap with.....

                Cheers, Thomas.

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 7, 2013
                  Not to bee too contentious on this point.
                  Someone please, tell me how the cell wax and honey know not to get too hot?

                  A capping knife goes through quickly, cuts and it is gone.
                  A hair dryer?
                  Sounds intriguing, but I don't have one.
                  I guess you need to try it out and tell the rest of us about it.
                  After all, nothing ventured, . . .

                  ---- On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 15:30:23 -0700 Thomas Janstrom<t_janstrom@...> wrote ----

                  5361328.91026.YahooMailClassic@..." type="cite">

                  heating the honey rids of its nutritional value

                  Linda Picazo

                  >>>  ... pros and cons regarding uncapping frames using heat Blow dryer versus a knife?

                  melting point range of 62 to 64 °C (144 to 147 °F).
                  Commercial bottlers heat up to 150º for a very short period of time.  Remember, 144 to 147º just barely gets the wax melted.  Heating the honey right underneath the wax cappings is going to ruin the taste.  Had not heard of melting wax cappings to open the comb up for extraction.

                  Mike in LA

                  Bill Husztek
                  Black Squirrel Cottage Enterprises
                  7558 Marshall Drive
                  Annandale, VA 22003
                  703-573-8842
                • Thomas Janstrom
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 8, 2013
                    They don't, they both rely on the operator of the hairdrier to move the stream of  hot air as soon as the capping wax melts. There are numerous videos on youtube that show this being done. I'd have to say it doesn't look to be the fastest way, but on the upside there are no cappings to process later, so maybe it works out?

                    Just one example of the types of videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RCsBJ25ZXg

                    Oh one thing, never done it this way myself (have a electric capping knife).....

                    Cheers, Thomas.

                    On 8/04/2013 9:18 AM, husztek wrote:

                    Not to bee too contentious on this point.
                    Someone please, tell me how the cell wax and honey know not to get too hot?

                    A capping knife goes through quickly, cuts and it is gone.
                    A hair dryer?
                    Sounds intriguing, but I don't have one.
                    I guess you need to try it out and tell the rest of us about it.
                    After all, nothing ventured, . . .

                    ---- On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 15:30:23 -0700 Thomas Janstrom<t_janstrom@...> wrote ----

                    The method being discussed involves heating the capping wax to just on its melting point, the honey in the cell never goes above the 65-70C (148-158F), if it even gets close is a bigger question. honey doesn't heat fast, it has a lot of thermal inertia/mass so would tend to stay close to the original temperature of the frame anyway. This is just like using a heated knife to uncap with.....

                    Cheers, Thomas.

                    On 8/04/2013 5:02 AM, LINDA PICAZO wrote:
                    5361328.91026.YahooMailClassic@..." type="cite">

                    heating the honey rids of its nutritional value

                    Linda Picazo

                    >>>  ... pros and cons regarding uncapping frames using heat Blow dryer versus a knife?

                    melting point range of 62 to 64 °C (144 to 147 °F).
                    Commercial bottlers heat up to 150º for a very short period of time.  Remember, 144 to 147º just barely gets the wax melted.  Heating the honey right underneath the wax cappings is going to ruin the taste.  Had not heard of melting wax cappings to open the comb up for extraction.

                    Mike in LA

                    Bill Husztek
                    Black Squirrel Cottage Enterprises
                    7558 Marshall Drive
                    Annandale, VA 22003
                    703-573-8842

                  • Jorg Kewisch
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 8, 2013
                      Beekeepers have experimented for a long time with this. A heated knife
                      will use about 50 Watts of electricity, a blower uses 400 Watts (both
                      estimates). An electric (mechinical) knife will gunk up after a short
                      time and has to be cleaned a lot.
                      So the commercial beekeeper will stick to the heated knife. (does
                      anybody know how hot the knife edge gets?). The hobbyist can still
                      experiment.
                      What about a computer controlled laser? Remember the Goldfinger movie?

                      Jorg

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 8, 2013
                        >>>   ... it doesn't look to be
                        the fastest way, but on the upside there are no cappings to process later, ....

                        So, what happens to the melted wax?  How much gets into the liquid honey?

                        Mike in LA
                      • Thomas Janstrom
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 10, 2013
                          When you melt a thin sheet of anything and you start in the middle (it would in any case in this case), surface tension will pull the newly liquid material away from the melt zone towards the cooler areas. So in this case it will wick towards the edges of the cell leaving the honey clean and uncapped.

                          I don't know how the bees deal with the rounded lip on the edge of the cell when the frame is reused though.

                          Thomas.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 10, 2013
                            >>>  surface tension will pull the newly liquid material away from the
                            melt zone towards the cooler areas. So in this case it will wick towards the edges of the cell leaving the honey clean and uncapped.

                            So you are saying that the melted wax will resolidify on the top edges of the cell cup?  You have used this process to uncap honey for extraction?  If so, have you ever noticed a skim of wax on the top of the honey when it's stored?

                            Mike in LA
                          • Matt Tucker
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 18, 2013
                              I just don't like the idea of using heat of any kind if I can help it. Raw and natural is best.

                              Matt

                              Uncapping frames Sat Apr 6, 2013 6:21 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Daryl" pastordarylmiller What are the pros and cons regarding uncapping frames using heat Blow dryer versus a knife? Can you use any blowdryer or do you need something that gets up to a certain temperature?