Re: [Beekeeping] How many hives?

  • Marie Taylor
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 28, 2013
      Hehe, I can believe that.  I am going into my second year of bees with both of my hives.  I want to expand to as many hives as I can lay my hands on for this year.  The only thing stopping me so far is I am going in for surgery later in April on both of my feet so I will be a little hampered for a several weeks.  I got both of these hives last June as Nucs and they made it fine so I plan on the same for this year.

      Marie

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
        Where I am, in the city, I can only keep two colonies. I know there are others who live in the city and openly flaunt this law by keeping five to ten, but I'll keep mine at two. The city kind of looks the other way because CCD has been such a huge problem out here, and one needs to keep more than just two colonies going to guard against this. When you deal with losses that approach 40%-50%.... There just isn't much choice in the matter.

        I lost one to CCD or possibly Foulbrood last year. The other across the yard is doing quite well. It's going to swarm at some point. When it does, that will provide me with my second colony, provided the queen stays close at first. I know this isn't a given, but it usually works out like that.

        I find that feral hives are the best at avoiding CCD and other problems. Never had much luck with packaged bees.

        Bill
        Sacramento, CA

        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Marie Taylor <red853@...> wrote:

        > Hehe, I can believe that.  I am going into my second year of bees with both of my hives.  I want to expand to as many hives as I can lay my hands on for this year.  The only thing stopping me so far is I am going in for surgery later in April on both of my feet so I will be a little hampered for a several weeks.  I got both of these hives last June as Nucs and they made it fine so I plan on the same for this year.
        >
        > Marie
        >

        > ________________________________

      • LINDA PICAZO
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 30, 2013
          If you split the hive you will not have to deal with the swarm, you will still have another hive

          Linda Picazo
          linda_diana1@...

          Where I am, in the city, I can only keep two colonies. I know there are others who live in the city and openly flaunt this law by keeping five to ten, but I'll keep mine at two. The city kind of looks the other way because CCD has been such a huge problem out here, and one needs to keep more than just two colonies going to guard against this. When you deal with losses that approach 40%-50%.... There just isn't much choice in the matter.

          I lost one to CCD or possibly Foulbrood last year. The other across the yard is doing quite well. It's going to swarm at some point. When it does, that will provide me with my second colony, provided the queen stays close at first. I know this isn't a given, but it usually works out like that.

          I find that feral hives are the best at avoiding CCD and other problems. Never had much luck with packaged bees.

          Bill
          Sacramento, CA

          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Marie Taylor <red853@...> wrote:

          > Hehe, I can believe that.  I am going into my second year of bees with both of my hives.  I want to expand to as many hives as I can lay my hands on for this year.  The only thing stopping me so far is I am going in for surgery later in April on both of my feet so I will be a little hampered for a several weeks.  I got both of these hives last June as Nucs and they made it fine so I plan on the same for this year.
          >
          > Marie
          >

          > ________________________________

        • LINDA PICAZO
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 30, 2013
            I now have 1 hive.... Started with my first hive last april, it was a nuc, then did a trap-out with a fellow from the bee  club here andhe ended up with a hive and i as well got a hive. the strong one did not make it through this mess of dieing bees ,,, as of today i still have the other one.

            Linda Picazo
            linda_diana1@...

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 30, 2013
              >>>   I lost one to CCD or possibly Foulbrood last year.
              >>>    ... going to swarm at some point. When it does, that will provide me with my second colony,

              Point 1    Foulbrood.  You HAVE to know if it's foulbrood or not.  If it's foulbrood you need to burn all the equipment inside the hive - frames, comb, whatever.  And you have to char the inside of the boxes, the bottom board, and inner and outer cover where the bees come in contact inside the hive.   If you install more bees on equipment that's not been thoroughly heat treated you are going to have another case of foulbrood, loose your new colony of bees, and wasted a season your bees could have used building up.  Get help in determining the cause you lost your lost colony.  Find a really good beekeeper to help you with this determination.  If you have a state bee inspector, see if you can get him or her to help you determine the cause of your hive's demise.

              Point 2  Swarm.  Don't let the colony swarm.  Don't know what the chances are for you to catch the swarm if it issues from you colony but they aren't good.  Split your colony now.  It's called a walkaway split.  Divide the colony in half with the split even between the two colonies.  Just make sure that if you have swarm cells, you place a frame with swarm cells in each of the new colonies.  If you don't have queen cells, make sure you place a frame containing eggs in each of the splits.  Three days after making the split, go in and look at both colonies.  The one with the queen will have eggs and newly hatched brood.  The one without will have built queen cells.  If there is a mix of capped and uncapped queen cells, tear down the capped cells.  The queens in those cells will have been raised from older larvae than the larvae in the uncapped cells and won't make as good a queen as any raised in the uncapped queen cells.

              Good luck with your bees.

              Mike in LA
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 2 5:19 PM
                It's not Foulbrood, sorry. I should have said wax moth. I found a lot of webbing in that empty hive. But I didn't find larvae.

                Still, I'm fairly sure it's wax moth. I'm going to start over with new equipment anyway.

                Mike, I'm not good enough to spot where the current queen is inside the surviving hive. I know she's in there because she's producing large amounts of new brood. But if I mistakingly remove her from her current hive, I'll destroy one or two in the process.

                She is not marked. This was a feral hive that survived the fall and winter months.

                Bill

                --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Mike S <mws1112004@...> wrote:

                > Point 1    Foulbrood.  You HAVE to know if it's foulbrood or not.  If it's foulbrood you need to burn all the equipment inside the hive - frames, comb, whatever.  And you have to char the inside of the boxes, the bottom board, and inner and outer cover where the bees come in contact inside the hive.   If you install more bees on equipment that's not been thoroughly heat treated you are going to have another case of foulbrood, loose your new colony of bees, and wasted a season your bees could have used building up.  Get help in determining the cause you lost your lost colony.  Find a really good beekeeper to help you with this determination.  If you have a state bee inspector, see if you can get him or her to help you determine the cause of your hive's demise.
                >
                > Point 2  Swarm.  Don't let the colony swarm.  Don't know what the chances are for you to catch the swarm if it issues from you colony but they aren't good.  Split your colony now.  It's called a walkaway split.  Divide the colony in half with the split even between the two colonies.  Just make sure that if you have swarm cells, you place a frame with swarm cells in each of the new colonies.  If you don't have queen cells, make sure you place a frame containing eggs in each of the splits.  Three days after making the split, go in and look at both colonies.  The one with the queen will have eggs and newly hatched brood.  The one without will have built queen cells.  If there is a mix of capped and uncapped queen cells, tear down the capped cells.  The queens in those cells will have been raised from older larvae than the larvae in the uncapped cells and won't make as good a queen as any raised in the uncapped queen cells.
                >
                > Good luck with your bees.
                >
                > Mike in LA

              • Ruary Rudd
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 3 12:05 AM
                  Yes the presence of webbing indicates that wax moths have entered the hive, BUT it does not mean that that was the cause of the colony death. Unless you have definitely ruled it out Foul Brood is still in the running.
                  It's not Foulbrood, sorry. I should have said wax moth. I found a lot of webbing in that empty hive. But I didn't find larvae.

                  Still, I'm fairly sure it's wax moth. I'm going to start over with new equipment anyway.

                  Mike, I'm not good enough to spot where the current queen is inside the surviving hive. I know she's in there because she's producing large amounts of new Bill

                • Richard Sullivan
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 4 8:15 AM
                    You would probably know you had foul brood because it stinks. If it doesn't stink you are probably fine. You don't need to get new equipment just because you  have wax moths. Just clean out the webs and larvae and when you put new bees in that box they will clean it right up.

                    Richard

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 4 8:22 AM
                      You probably don't have foulbrood. You would notice a horrible stench- hence " Foul"
                      Also you don't need to change equipment because you have wax moths. Just clean up webs and larvae and when you put new bees in the box they will clean it right up. Remember drawn comb is a valuable resource.
                      Your colony probably died as a result of varroa mites. They can't survive unless there is brood so no worries there either.

                      Richard