Re: [Beekeeping] Re: Storing Supers with Honey and Moth Crystals

  • Gary Ilmanen
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 25, 2013
      No, the warning was in a book I read about dressing out turkeys and such.  I'll see if I can research it a bit.

      On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM, <mdudley@...> wrote:

      I was unaware of that. Do you know which brands, or how to tell?

    • mdudley
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
        I spent a good bit of time trying to find this information on the net. I found a few brands which said they did, but could find none that said they did not. I finally bit the bullet and called Hefty/Reynolds and talked to their representative and was told that none of the Hefty bags contain any pesticides or insecticides.

        I had been using the Kroger bags (cheaper) but know from experience that if you call them their automatic answer to questions is usually that it is proprietary information ( like ask them who supplies their fake honey and that is what they say ), so I will be making sure I use a pesticide free one next winter.

        To eliminate moisture if storing comb which has any uncapped nector in it, use silica gel. These are available in packets, or you can buy in bulk, and put it into a cloth bag. They can generally be reused by baking in the oven to drive the moisture out. Gel absorbs about 40% of its weight in water, so a 10 gram packet will absorb about 4 grams of water, which is around one teaspoon.

        Thanks for the heads up.

        Marshall