Re: Vandals kill honey bees in Sterling Heights backyard

  • habutti
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
      I'm not sure how he arrive to those values, but he sure got the media and police attention. I guess now he can justify the purchase of more packages to start over to his wife, heck with those numbers he can even submit a claim with his home insurance...who knows.

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Tim Arheit <tarheit@...> wrote:

      > Without more details I'm inclined to think it was just a winter
      > dieout. Spraying a cluster with pesticide this time of year would be
      > difficult.
      >
      > I also need to find more customers who think hives are so valuable. A
      > single used hive mostly though the winter (probably half way though it's
      > stores) worth $2000. I need to start charging a lot more.
      >
      > -Tim
      >
      > On 3/12/2013 6:10 PM, Jorg Kewisch wrote:
      > >
      > > How does that guy come up with $2000 per hive? I count $300 for the
      > > hive, $200 for the bees, $300 for 100 pounds of honey. Must be $1200 for
      > > the emotional damage...
      > >
      > > On 03/12/2013 12:10 PM, Charles Walter wrote:
      > > > In addition to tracheal and varroa mites, nosema, ccd, etc, etc.,
      > > > beekeepers also have to deal with this nonsense.
      > > > Read more at: http://bit.ly/14SrNlq
      > > > Charles Walter

    • karon
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 16, 2013

        I don’t know if he could make that stick in court as a legit number. but, TBH, it would make me mad just thinking of the hours spent caring for the bees to have someone destroy them. rather like losing a pet. I often think of my beehives as each one being a pet, all the little bees aggregated to make one hive that is my own pet. It seems to me that each hive tends to develop its own ‘personality’ too.  But, maybe I’m just weird<G>

        Karon Adams

        Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

        You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

        www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary

        www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

        How does that guy come up with $2000 per hive? I count $300 for the
        hive, $200 for the bees, $300 for 100 pounds of honey. Must be $1200 for
        the emotional damage...

        On 03/12/2013 12:10 PM, Charles Walter wrote:
        > In addition to tracheal and varroa mites, nosema, ccd, etc, etc.,
        > beekeepers also have to deal with this nonsense.
        > Read more at: http://bit.ly/14SrNlq
        > Charles Walter

      • Tim Arheit