What happened to Root?

  • mdudley
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2013
      When I was keeping bees in the 60's one of the major suppliers was AI Root, which also published Gleanings in Bee culture. Now that I am getting back into beekeeping with the new survivor strains available I am getting catalogs from various companies, such as Kelly and Dadant. But when I try to find Root, all I can find is a candle company. Did they stop making beekeeping supplies?

      Thanks,

      Marshall
    • Tim Arheit
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2013
        Yes, they did stop making bee supplies (not quite sure when, but it was before my time)

        -Tim

        On 2/25/2013 11:34 AM, mdudley@... wrote:

        When I was keeping bees in the 60's one of the major suppliers was AI Root, which also published Gleanings in Bee culture. Now that I am getting back into beekeeping with the new survivor strains available I am getting catalogs from various companies, such as Kelly and Dadant. But when I try to find Root, all I can find is a candle company. Did they stop making beekeeping supplies?

        Thanks,

        Marshall

      • Gary Glaenzer
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2013
          sadly, YES

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 25, 2013
            Yup. Gone.

            I also miss those old reversible extractors made by Superior Honey
            Company of Ogden of Utah. I used one owned by the leader of my 4-H
            beekeeping club back in the '60s. Built like a tank.

            Blaine Nay
            www.ironbee.us