Re: [Beekeeping] Starting with a nuc and hive beetles

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2013

      From my reading of the available information on dealing with hive beetles the most important thing is to not have more comb than the bees can cover, so they can keep it all patrolled.

      If the comb is dry and without pollen stored in it, the beetles won't bother it.  They lay their eggs in comb that has pollen stored in it because that is what the larvae eat.

      I think putting a three comb nuc in a regular hive with dry, drawn comb would be okay.  Would involve less work for the nuc bees and they would only use what they could control.