Re: A Beekeeping Question! Requeening a laying worker hive

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 10, 2013
      TONS of activity inside and outside the hive today, one of our warmest days of the year. PaYing close attention for several minutes I witnessed a great deal of bees returning with full pollen sacks. The spring bloom is starting early this year with stands of mustard in early blossom.

      I also noticed a variety of rosemary, which grows like a weed here and is used extensively for landscaping, was also in bloom and the thicket was thick with foraging honeybees.

      I think it's clear that with the activity I witnessed today that there's a queen inside that hive box and she is indeed "getting busy."

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Mike S wrote:

      > I'm not sure that I agree with the above statement.  I have heard of no study citing the above fact that a laying worker has only been out of the hive one time.  What is the source of this statement?  I'm not saying it's wrong.  I just question the validity.
      >
      > Mike in LA

    • karon
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 11, 2013

        Yep, looks like you either missed the queen or she may be a late raised home grown queen and might be small. Looks like that will be enough to keep the hive alive and that is a good thing. But, I would plan on requeening just to be on the safe side as soon as it is warm enough.

        Karon Adams

        Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

        You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

        www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary