RE: [Beekeeping] Re: A Beekeeping Question!

  • karon
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 9, 2013

      I can’t say I blame you Bill. I wouldn’t either. I often forget that a lot of beekeepers live in places that are FAR colder than mine. For instance, here, it is in the 70’s, today. Opening the hive is no big shakes. If it is too cold one day, wait till tomorrow and there is no problem<G>

      But, if you have a laying worker, or even suspect one, opening the hive is really the only way to confirm it.

      IIRC, and I could be wrong, don’t the bees live longer during the winter? Living in a sort of semi dormant state while balled in the center of the hive?  Still, the workers generally toss drones to starve in the fall so if you had a laying worker, seems the remaining workers would toss the drones as they hatch.

      Still, I haven’t kept bees in a while and only had a laying worker once in the time I was keeping, before so I cannot remember for sure all the tricks and habits. And, being in The South, I am not certain about the overwintering behavior in colder climes<G>

      Karon Adams

      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

      www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary

      www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 9, 2013

        You know, I’m not even entirely sure of that. No studies, basically, just an assumption. I would think she would have been out for a mating flight or an attempt at one. But, then again, it may be that a former forager may be a laying queen. Like I said, it has been a while since I kept bees and I only had a laying worker once.  I was just trying to think it through and assuming she had always been a layer but had not been fed jelly early enough to become a real queen. I suppose a former forager might change over to a laying queen.

        I may very well have been wrong about that. I am not certain why I came to that conclusion. Don’t know if I read it somewhere (and on further reflection, I doubt that I did) or just deduced it myself, incorrectly it seems, now that I have read more here and had time to think on it a little more.

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 9, 2013

            And see, thinking through it, that does make more sense. Sorry, I was trying to think it through and I went the wrong way with it, I suppose.

            Karon Adams

            Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

            You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

            www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary

            www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

            >>>    Unlike foragers, that laying worker has only been out of the hive one time.

            I'm not sure that I agree with the above statement.  I have heard of no study citing the above fact that a laying worker has only been out of the hive one time.  What is the source of this statement?  I'm not saying it's wrong.  I just question the validity.

            Mike in LA

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 10, 2013
              TONS of activity inside and outside the hive today, one of our warmest days of the year. PaYing close attention for several minutes I witnessed a great deal of bees returning with full pollen sacks. The spring bloom is starting early this year with stands of mustard in early blossom.

              I also noticed a variety of rosemary, which grows like a weed here and is used extensively for landscaping, was also in bloom and the thicket was thick with foraging honeybees.

              I think it's clear that with the activity I witnessed today that there's a queen inside that hive box and she is indeed "getting busy."

              --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Mike S wrote:

              > I'm not sure that I agree with the above statement.  I have heard of no study citing the above fact that a laying worker has only been out of the hive one time.  What is the source of this statement?  I'm not saying it's wrong.  I just question the validity.
              >
              > Mike in LA

            • karon
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 11, 2013

                Yep, looks like you either missed the queen or she may be a late raised home grown queen and might be small. Looks like that will be enough to keep the hive alive and that is a good thing. But, I would plan on requeening just to be on the safe side as soon as it is warm enough.