RE: [Beekeeping] A Beekeeping Question! Requeening a laying worker hive

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 8, 2013
      >>>   I have yet been
      able to re-queen a hive with a laying worker…….

      The procedure that I understand to work well is to take the hive about 200 to 300 feet away.  Shake out ALL the bees. Then move the empty hive back to its original location.  For some reason it seems that the laying workers are unable to find their way back to the old location,  You then requeen the hive after about a day after the above operation.  I would delay the release of the queen for about two additional days, but that is my personal thought.  A way of doing that without disrupting the hive to any degree is to fix the queen cage in place horizontally with the candy end facing one end of the hive.  Replace the current plug with a bee-proof plug attached to a strong fishing line.  String that string from the new plug so that it lays outside the hive between two hive baxes (hive bodies, supers, a combination of the two, or between a hive bax and the inner cover, so that the other end of the line lays outside the hive and has enough length to be able to grab and pull strongly.  After placement into the hive for two days, go back to the hive and pull the end of the fishing line which has been left dangling outside the hive.  That will pull the plug on the queen cage and allow the bees to chew their way through the candy and thence release the queen.  This would give the bees four to five days to acclimate to the new queen.  Make sure that the bees have access to the queen through the screen if you use a wooden queen cage.  A week to ten days after you pull the plug, go back into the hive and remove the queen cage and check for eggs.  If you see eggs the way they should be laid by a queen, then you are good-to-go.

      Mike in LA

    • Gary Glaenzer
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 8, 2013
        Well, since by definition:

        1) Laying workers produce Drones only

        and

        2) Drones must be fed by workers

        I'd say 'NO'

        Don't feel bad about not finding the queen.....just look for eggs and capped (flat, not domed) brood; if you have those, she is in there

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 8, 2013
          This seems to be more the question: How do I find the queen?
          First, the queen may look just like the worker bees with a twice longer
          abdomen. Use Google to see lots of queens.
          Here is what I do, please tell us your method.I start with the bottom
          box, leave the inner cover on the top box. If I start at the top the
          bees will move down and the bottom box will be overcrowded and hard to
          search.
          I remove the outer frame and inspect it, put it aside. Then I inspect
          carefully the center frames because the queen is most likely there. If I
          don't find her I go through all frames.
          If still not found I put a queen excluder and the top box on. With light
          smoke the bees will move down and make it easier to find the left behind
          queen.
          Don't forget to remove the queen excluder afterwards;)

          Jorg
        • karon
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 8, 2013

            It has been a while but I remember this procedure!  I have heard good things about it. and it makes sense. Unlike foragers, that laying worker has only been out of the hive one time. A MUCH easier way to do away with her than trying to find her and kill her!!

            Karon Adams

            Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

            You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

            www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary

            www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 8, 2013
              In general the procedure tends to work, but I think it's more because of the significant disruption to the hive rather than the wisdom I've seen quoted.  ie. Laying workers can't fly or that they have only left the hive one time so they don't know where it is.

              Why couldn't a laying worker fly.  A laying queen certainly can and they are much heavier.   They also stand a good chance to find the hive if taken out of the hive and released, even if they have only been out of the hive once.

              In a normally functioning hive,  the queens pheromones inhibit workers from laying eggs, but they don't prevent it entirely.  Studies have shown something like a 0.01% incidence of laying workers in a normal queenright hive.  This doesn't sound like much, but can mean 2 or more laying workers are in nearly every hive.   You would never notice their activity though as a healthy hive removes bad eggs and the few eggs a single laying worker or two lays will be dwarfed by the queens normal production.   That said there have been some beekeepers observing a laying worker in a queen right hive (I've even seen it once), and more beekeepers have seen signs of it such as a few drone cells in honey supers above an excluder with no real indication the queen got though by the lack of a normal pattern.

              In the absence of the queen,   the number of laying works tends to increase significantly after a couple weeks in general, though I've seen hives that have significant laying workers within a week and other hives that never seems to develop laying workers even when queenless for many weeks.

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 8, 2013
                Thank you for your answers. I have some points to make:

                1. It's too cold to open that hive up right now and check for laying patterns. When the weather warms, I will. But opening that hive up now would just expose a balled mass to a blast of Northern California cold weather. That's deadly. I'm not going there yet.

                2. I've had colonies where the queen either died or flew away and a laying worker took over. In all instances, the colony died after a few months. By the time late fall hit, every last bee was gone or dead. I've never once experienced a colony with a laying worker survive the cold winter months. BUT -- my experience at this is limited. I have two hives. I'm a hobbyist at heart.

                3. This colony has survived the coldest part of our winter. It's February. While it's still cold, the days are getting longer and a tad warmer. The last frost date has passed. I've witnessed what appears to be new brood emerging from the hive (small bees) and flying around it to gain orientation.

                4. Everything I've seen tells me there's a queen in there and I just didn't spot her the last time I inspected the hive last summer (by the way, that inspection revealed NO BROOD in the upper part of the hive). I did not check the frames at the bottom. She may have been there. New brood may have been there.

                5. So -- if anyone on this board has ever experienced a colony with a laying worker survive the winter? Please let me know. I don't think it would. But again, my experience is limited.

                6. NO KARON! I am not opening the hive in the DEAD OF WINTER.

                Bill
                Sacramento, CA

                --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Jorg Kewisch wrote:

                > This seems to be more the question: How do I find the queen?
                > First, the queen may look just like the worker bees with a twice longer
                > abdomen. Use Google to see lots of queens.
                > Here is what I do, please tell us your method.I start with the bottom
                > box, leave the inner cover on the top box. If I start at the top the
                > bees will move down and the bottom box will be overcrowded and hard to
                > search.
                > I remove the outer frame and inspect it, put it aside. Then I inspect
                > carefully the center frames because the queen is most likely there. If I
                > don't find her I go through all frames.
                > If still not found I put a queen excluder and the top box on. With light
                > smoke the bees will move down and make it easier to find the left behind
                > queen.
                > Don't forget to remove the queen excluder afterwards;)
                >
                > Jorg

              • Bill
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 8, 2013
                  DING! DING! DING!

                  Best answer yet Mike. Yes, when the weather warms up in the afternoon for the bees to fly -- they're out and about gathering pollen. I can see those full pollen sacks when they return to the hive.

                  I'm not sure what we have up here blooming in the dead of winter, but there must be something they like. But, your answer makes me feel better. I'm almost positive there's a queen in there. I've just never been able to spot her before.

                  One thing I have noticed? Living in a cookie cutter subdivision that is only half built out? Landscapers choose the cheapest, most common of plants to landscape with. These are plants that grow quickly and show plenty of color.

                  They also happen to be enormous pollen producers.

                  Another thing to check is whether or not you have bees bringing in pollen into the hive.  If they are bringing a lot of pollen in (1 in every 10 bees or so) then you have a very active colony that is building up for spring.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 8, 2013
                    >>>    Unlike foragers, that laying worker has only been out of the hive one time.

                    I'm not sure that I agree with the above statement.  I have heard of no study citing the above fact that a laying worker has only been out of the hive one time.  What is the source of this statement?  I'm not saying it's wrong.  I just question the validity.

                    Mike in LA

                  • karon
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 9, 2013

                      I can’t say I blame you Bill. I wouldn’t either. I often forget that a lot of beekeepers live in places that are FAR colder than mine. For instance, here, it is in the 70’s, today. Opening the hive is no big shakes. If it is too cold one day, wait till tomorrow and there is no problem<G>

                      But, if you have a laying worker, or even suspect one, opening the hive is really the only way to confirm it.

                      IIRC, and I could be wrong, don’t the bees live longer during the winter? Living in a sort of semi dormant state while balled in the center of the hive?  Still, the workers generally toss drones to starve in the fall so if you had a laying worker, seems the remaining workers would toss the drones as they hatch.

                      Still, I haven’t kept bees in a while and only had a laying worker once in the time I was keeping, before so I cannot remember for sure all the tricks and habits. And, being in The South, I am not certain about the overwintering behavior in colder climes<G>

                      Karon Adams

                      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

                      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

                      www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary

                      www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

                      Thank you for your answers. I have some points to make:

                      1. It's too cold to open that hive up right now and check for laying patterns. When the weather warms, I will. But opening that hive up now would just expose a balled mass to a blast of Northern California cold weather. That's deadly. I'm not going there yet.

                      2. I've had colonies where the queen either died or flew away and a laying worker took over. In all instances, the colony died after a few months. By the time late fall hit, every last bee was gone or dead. I've never once experienced a colony with a laying worker survive the cold winter months. BUT -- my experience at this is limited. I have two hives. I'm a hobbyist at heart.

                      3. This colony has survived the coldest part of our winter. It's February. While it's still cold, the days are getting longer and a tad warmer. The last frost date has passed. I've witnessed what appears to be new brood emerging from the hive (small bees) and flying around it to gain orientation.

                      4. Everything I've seen tells me there's a queen in there and I just didn't spot her the last time I inspected the hive last summer (by the way, that inspection revealed NO BROOD in the upper part of the hive). I did not check the frames at the bottom. She may have been there. New brood may have been there.

                      5. So -- if anyone on this board has ever experienced a colony with a laying worker survive the winter? Please let me know. I don't think it would. But again, my experience is limited.

                      6. NO KARON! I am not opening the hive in the DEAD OF WINTER.

                      Bill
                      Sacramento, CA

                      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Jorg Kewisch wrote:

                      > This seems to be more the question: How do I find the queen?
                      > First, the queen may look just like the worker bees with a twice longer
                      > abdomen. Use Google to see lots of queens.
                      > Here is what I do, please tell us your method.I start with the bottom
                      > box, leave the inner cover on the top box. If I start at the top the
                      > bees will move down and the bottom box will be overcrowded and hard to
                      > search.
                      > I remove the outer frame and inspect it, put it aside. Then I inspect
                      > carefully the center frames because the queen is most likely there. If I
                      > don't find her I go through all frames.
                      > If still not found I put a queen excluder and the top box on. With light
                      > smoke the bees will move down and make it easier to find the left behind
                      > queen.
                      > Don't forget to remove the queen excluder afterwards;)
                      >
                      > Jorg

                    • karon
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 9, 2013

                        You know, I’m not even entirely sure of that. No studies, basically, just an assumption. I would think she would have been out for a mating flight or an attempt at one. But, then again, it may be that a former forager may be a laying queen. Like I said, it has been a while since I kept bees and I only had a laying worker once.  I was just trying to think it through and assuming she had always been a layer but had not been fed jelly early enough to become a real queen. I suppose a former forager might change over to a laying queen.

                        I may very well have been wrong about that. I am not certain why I came to that conclusion. Don’t know if I read it somewhere (and on further reflection, I doubt that I did) or just deduced it myself, incorrectly it seems, now that I have read more here and had time to think on it a little more.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 9, 2013

                            And see, thinking through it, that does make more sense. Sorry, I was trying to think it through and I went the wrong way with it, I suppose.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 10, 2013
                              TONS of activity inside and outside the hive today, one of our warmest days of the year. PaYing close attention for several minutes I witnessed a great deal of bees returning with full pollen sacks. The spring bloom is starting early this year with stands of mustard in early blossom.

                              I also noticed a variety of rosemary, which grows like a weed here and is used extensively for landscaping, was also in bloom and the thicket was thick with foraging honeybees.

                              I think it's clear that with the activity I witnessed today that there's a queen inside that hive box and she is indeed "getting busy."

                              > I'm not sure that I agree with the above statement.  I have heard of no study citing the above fact that a laying worker has only been out of the hive one time.  What is the source of this statement?  I'm not saying it's wrong.  I just question the validity.
                              >
                              > Mike in LA

                            • karon
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 11, 2013

                                Yep, looks like you either missed the queen or she may be a late raised home grown queen and might be small. Looks like that will be enough to keep the hive alive and that is a good thing. But, I would plan on requeening just to be on the safe side as soon as it is warm enough.