Re: [Beekeeping] Re: Apivar

  • Tim Arheit
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2013
      It was not available for use in much of this country until recently due to the permits required, and I don't think it's still available in all states.   No idea of the real world effectiveness though or if the 'no significant residues' will mean anything long term.  Recall checkmite and apistan's acceptable residue levels that have now been shown to cause issues with queens.

      It is me, or do their test hives have massive mite counts...   446 mites per 100 bees?     I've seen treatment recommended with just 15 or more were counted per 300 bees (5 per 100 bees)

      Even the treated hive on mannlake's page meets the treatment thresholds listed in http://www.clemson.edu/extension/beekeepers/factsheets/varroa_mite_control_in_sc.html

      -Tim

      On 1/29/2013 4:16 PM, smithn00 wrote:

      So is Apivar the answer to Varroa mites? The literature states that Apivar has been around for 15 years yet articles I read last summer seemed to say that an effective and safe Varroa treatment has not yet become available.