Re: [beekeeping] a question for the mod, and one for everyone else.

  • grizzly bearnolds
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2003
      >From: raincrone@...
      >Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003
      >Subject: [beekeeping] Re: a question for the mod, and one for everyone else.
      >
      >BTW, there's got to be a list owner here even if the list isn't moderated
      >in the approving-individual-posts sense. Anyone know who it is?

      We have gone over and over and over on this one, through the months. If
      there is a list owner, he/she is an absentee one. While some good topics
      come up from time to time, this is not the best of lists to get into any
      discussions (in my opinion), as this list is not moderated, not even the
      tiny bit that is needed to keep the spammers off.

      I prefer to participate in Organic and Norland, there is more care taken
      with those lists than this one here. Both lists are part of Yahoo. The list
      owners take care of their members and their lists. Discussions are many and
      varied, and there is mostly free speech, no censure, though each list was
      created for specific purposes. Some do not agree with those lists, but on
      the whole, those who join, stay on and hopefully like it there.

      Ma. ~ North Pacific, West Coast, British Columbia, CANADA
    • Shanta McBain
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2003
        On September 30, 2003 22:25, Crenn wrote:
        > Shanta I beg to differ. I find it much easier to download attachments and
        > save them to my computer than to try to remember what page had what or
        > waste space in my email.

        If you put the link in the page one clicks it and your there to the actual
        record or to the application. http://shanta.org/cgi-bin/Apis/recipes.cgi
        This keeps the detail out of the list saving data transmition of the content
        of the recipe to only those that chose to see it. Band with is a growing
        issue For me it is band with. For Windoz user it is viruses.

        Attachments are not cool to send to a list. They are generally viruses.
        Word docs for the most part in a format that is not readable by anyone except
        those with the save version of the word processor you created it with. Saving
        in rich text solves that but is bad list ethics to attach a file.

        The major advantage of using a database it that the recipe is online to be
        searched. An easy to use both for getting and entering the information. To
        enter just fill in the form. To find simply search for any word in the
        recipe. (the search box). The application has vary extensive search
        capability's. Just not available with mail list. A posted recipe is lost for
        all as soon as it is posted. Yes it is in the archives of the list but it is
        not easy to find. Nor is it shared by other list.

        Currently the modules of Apis are shared among other 'sites'. Content enhances
        all.

        Apis is designed to be able to host multiple sites on the same app/database.

        Apis the core app directed towards personal membership, for site hosting the
        application services clubs and companies. Base modules are shared by all.
        Forage Database
        Recipes
        Forums

        Specific modules
        Calendar
        News
        MemberDatabase (clubs)
        ToDo
        Logs
        Progets
        Queen and yard tracking systems.
        etc

        --
        Thanks
        Shanta McBain
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 2, 2003
          Hey all...
          You tell em Ma. Each list has its own personality. Organic folks don't treat with anything...nothing... not FGMO...nothing. There are strong supporters of Small cell foundation and Housel positioning on both. Big chunk of Norland use chemicals but Norland is for extreme climate Beekeeping.

          This list is just fine the way it is...I think we did lose a lot of support when the porn pushers started targeting us (or was that another group).

          The problem with Moderating is...You need someone who is going to check a few times a day...every day...or nothing comes through...

          Bob Stockley
          Lagrangeville NY.

          grizzly bearnolds <mkittner@...> wrote:

          >From: raincrone@...
          >Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003
          >Subject: [beekeeping] Re: a question for the mod, and one for everyone else.
          >
          >BTW, there's got to be a list owner here even if the list isn't moderated
          >in the approving-individual-posts sense. Anyone know who it is?

          We have gone over and over and over on this one, through the months. If
          there is a list owner, he/she is an absentee one. While some good topics
          come up from time to time, this is not the best of lists to get into any
          discussions (in my opinion), as this list is not moderated, not even the
          tiny bit that is needed to keep the spammers off.

          I prefer to participate in Organic and Norland, there is more care taken
          with those lists than this one here. Both lists are part of Yahoo. The list
          owners take care of their members and their lists. Discussions are many and
          varied, and there is mostly free speech, no censure, though each list was
          created for specific purposes. Some do not agree with those lists, but on
          the whole, those who join, stay on and hopefully like it there.

          Ma. ~ North Pacific, West Coast, British Columbia, CANADA

          http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/MwgrlB/TM

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2, 2003
            For a good, moderated, discussion list concerning bees and beekeeping go to the following web address.  The discussion list is called BEE-L  for bee log.  It has participants from all over the world, and is intensely moderated by about four or five people so that submissions are being examined and submitted, or not, to the list several times a day.  All submissions are sent to all the moderators and if any one of them approves the submission, it makes it to the list.  I have found it to be quite educational.  Hope you all agree.

            Mike

          • mnist@spamcop.net
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 2, 2003
              I'm a new member of BEE-L; they are excellent for information but a little high
              end for a newbie like me. Next year I'll be better at taking in everything they
              discuss.

              I came real close to unsubscribing because of some of the contentiousness and
              bickering between members.

              --Madeleine
              Quoting Mike <mws@...>:

              > For a good, moderated, discussion list concerning bees and beekeeping go to
              > the following web address. The discussion list is called BEE-L for bee log.
              > It has participants from all over the world, and is intensely moderated by
              > about four or five people so that submissions are being examined and
              > submitted, or not, to the list several times a day. All submissions are sent
              > to all the moderators and if any one of them approves the submission, it
              > makes it to the list. I have found it to be quite educational. Hope you all
              > agree.
              >
              > Mike
              >
              > http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm
            • grizzly bearnolds
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 2, 2003
                >From: mnist@...
                >Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003
                >Subject: Re: [beekeeping] a question for the mod, and one for everyone else.
                >
                >I'm a new member of BEE-L; they are excellent for information but a little
                >high end for a newbie like me. // I came real close to unsubscribing
                >because of some of the contentiousness and bickering between members.

                I left BeeL a long time ago. They have a way of moderating that doesn't
                stick with me too well.

                >From: ROBERT J STOCKLEY <bruzgul@...>
                >Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003
                >Subject: Re: [beekeeping] a question for the mod, and one for everyone else.

                >Each list has its own personality.

                Both of those lists that I had mentioned (Organic, Norland, and there are a
                few others) have their own special flavour, their own personality. Which of
                course reflects the membership. What I like most on those lists, is that
                someone like me (who doesn't fit into BeeL at all, who was told more or
                less to shut up and to listen to the wise and know it all few certain
                ones), well someone like me can participate in those other lists. I can ask
                questions, I get answers, and I can say what I think is necessary. The main
                thing though, through the interaction with those beekeepers, my bees have
                benefited. I have had a second very good year, the bees are healthy, they
                are progressing, they are on their own way. Sure I like to get down to the
                small cell size but have a long way to go yet before reaching that goal.
                There is much to the small cell BEE KEEPING METHODS which I think are
                helping. We have kept bees for ten plus years, have lost and lost them, had
                honey only in the second year and then all this time, nothing, and lost the
                bees regularly over winter. With the different methods, I got them through
                last winter, and my hives have been doing very well the last two seasons,
                accumulating in even getting honey for us this summer, for the second time
                ever in our years with the bees. There is much farther to go on to, much
                more to learn, and those people on Organic and Norland are coming through
                for me.

                This is not to say that this list here (beekeeping) is not a good one, I
                have been a member here too for a long time, but ... there just isn't
                enough coming out to help a person to learn and to improve. Also the
                absentee moderator makes it difficult, in my opinion, to have a guidance to
                this list. I do not like at all the moderation that is happening on BeeL,
                yet the way the moderators on Organic and Norland are doing it, is much
                more agreeable with someone like me.

                > This list is just fine the way it is...I think we did lose a lot of
                > support when the porn pushers started targeting us (or was that another group).

                Right. It also hits other groups but there (I think) the moderators are a
                bit more on their toes.

                > The problem with Moderating is...You need someone who is going to check
                > a few times a day...every day...or nothing comes through.

                Not necessarily. There are different ways of moderating. I don't mean the
                way that every message has to be read and approved before submitting. That
                is going overboard too much.

                The reason we are on all these lists, is to improve our beekeeping methods,
                to inform ourselves. There are different ways of doing that, whatever
                appeals to a person. All I can say, if you want to talk bees, learn about
                them, figure new things out, have discussions with others, this is well
                done on those two lists I mentioned. As always though, as in real life,
                there are some who don't get along with others, that's unavoidable. And
                there are some people that do not like the way Norland's or Organic's
                moderators promote their way of keeping their bees, however, in the end,
                they and we all, we want the best we can provide for our bees, and I rather
                have someone who is convinced of what they are doing and who stick it out
                through the problems, AND they also are there to help others, free of
                charge, because they got help themselves before, and now they are helping
                others. Examples. A guy in Alaska, where it was / still is the norm to kill
                the bees (as far as I know), to let them die out regularly, because
                wintering is a huge problem up north, but he is fighting it out and is
                having bees now that are surviving. Me the very unimportant one, also up
                north, where it is said that bees cannot survive on their own out here over
                winter, well I am working on it and there is improvement. I am learning how
                to keep bees healthy and keep them with methods that do not require
                medications or treatments.

                Again, it is not to say that a list like this one (beekeeping) is not a
                good one, but it seems, there is a lot missing yet, which could make it a
                far better one. And I am not trying to make a membership drive for other
                lists, that is not the point.

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 2, 2003
                  On October 2, 2003 03:38, ROBERT J STOCKLEY wrote:
                  > Hey all...
                  > You tell em Ma. Each list has its own personality. Organic folks don't
                  > treat with anything...nothing... not FGMO...nothing. There are strong
                  > supporters of Small cell foundation and Housel positioning on both.

                  Unfortunately they are so restrictive in conversation that to talk about
                  formic acid a natural treatment allowed by the organic certification programs
                  is not allowed. The largest proponents of the to unsubstantiated systems 4.9
                  and Housel are not interested in gathering data to prove the process. In fact
                  most data point to allowing the bees to make their own comb. This is because
                  bees are of different sizes and vary from latitude to latitude.

                  Most of the stories told in this list point more to Genetics than Cell Size.
                  But that is blasphemy in this list. Because of the close minded nature of
                  this list I have drooped it.

                  >Big
                  > chunk of Norland use chemicals but Norland is for extreme climate
                  > Beekeeping.

                  This is a great list open minded and interested in sharing data and experience
                  on any topic including true organics. It is moderated and people are truly
                  interested in helping others become better beekeepers. I would not say most
                  of us use chems on this list. Those that do though are looking for ways to
                  get practices and genetics to the point that they are no longer needed. So
                  when one user warns of the risks of no treatment vs intelligent uses of what
                  is available they are not told not to discuse accepted practices in the
                  beekeeping world.

                  > This list is just fine the way it is...I think we did lose a lot of support
                  > when the porn pushers started targeting us (or was that another group).

                  Porn is only a small part of poor list etiquette though the possibly the most
                  objection. Others are not in any particular order. HTML in messages,
                  attachments, Not editing the subject line to reflect the change in the course
                  of the thread. Not clipping out the old partion of messages that are
                  irrelevant to the responses given. One only needs enough to get the drift of
                  what was said so that the answer makes sense.

                  > The problem with Moderating is...You need someone who is going to check a
                  > few times a day...every day...or nothing comes through...

                  On my server every time a message comes in the moderator(s) get the posted
                  message and the either approve or not approve by responding to the message by
                  clicking links in the message. The yahoo list I belieave have the option that
                  once a new member has posted a few legitimate messages the can be placed on a
                  unmoderated status.

                  --
                  Thanks
                  Shanta McBain
                  Bee Breeder
                  http://shanta.org/Apis
                  Orders now being taken for Late August and September Queens and 2004
                  Nukes.
                • sjbasin
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 8, 2003
                    By far the best bee forum going is the Beesource.com board. Moderated
                    by the likes of Dr. Pedro Rodriquez, Dee Lusby, and others who are
                    recognized as the best in their diciplines. Well moderated, over 1000
                    members from all over, newbies to those with 30 years of commercial
                    experience. Bee-L is good but a bit stiff for most hobby or sideline
                    beekeepers. Beesource also has an active chatroom that provokes good
                    exchange a couple times a week.
                    http:www.beesource.com/