Re: Ask the Beekeeper: Where Have All the Honeybees Gone?traps

  • roger g
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2012
      I ratchetstrap my langs all the time. Had a topbar hive blow over during storm,set back up, only broke one comb off seems OK. lost one topbar hive to a bear, thankfully he didn't come back for more. I have 3 ohter topbars and 5 langs at theat location. set up 3 trailcams. roger NJ

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, mdudley@... wrote:

      > I was planning on strapping mine down as well. I figure if I put them on cinder blocks or put them on cinder blocks then I can put straps around the hive to hold it down. Might even help against small bears.
      >
      > Marshall
      >
      > --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "kewisch@" <jorg@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am on Long Island, 50 miles east of Brooklyn. Sandy made landfall about 100 miles south of Brooklyn, as predicted. I did nothing, with enough time to act if Sandy changed her mind. My bees are fine. Last year when Isabelle came through I had my hives strapped down. I have only four hives and got a four-pack of straps with ratchet for $15 and used a few stakes. My bees were fine both times. My yard is on high ground and the damage Sandy caused was mostly due to flooding.
      > >
      > > There is a great post in the archives on BEE-L:
      > > http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A2=ind9409&L=BEE-L&P=R3394&1=BEE-L&9=A&I=-3&J=on&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches&z=4
      > >
      > > --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Johnson <reeferret@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Did folks actually tie down there hives during Sandy? Not being from that
      > > > part of the country I was wondering what kind of provision beekeepers do
      > > > for that kind of preparation?

    • Alan
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2012
        I agree with Mike.

        We have a sign on our front yard fence advertising local honey for sale. All else, we sell via word of mouth. All in all, subtracting what we keep for our own consumption, we sell everything that three hives produce each year. No effort at all about selling honey. It's like having a garden in your back yard and selling from your porch. People would rather buy local, real local, then purchase even from stands down the road. And once you make that first sell, they keep coming back for more!

        Alan, Lakeview, NY