Ask the Beekeeper: Where Have All the Honeybees Gone?

  • Charles Walter
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 27, 2012
      A couple of years ago, I started learning about Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) through my work in NRDC’s Membership Department.
      Read more at: http://bit.ly/10m24Ek
      Charles Walter

    • Jorg Kewisch
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 27, 2012
        I find this article a bit shallow. Everything is blamed on pesticides,
        no mention of Varroa, Nosema, Chinese honey at dumping prices that
        reduced the number of professional beekeepers. It is not mentioned that
        there is no accepted scientific proof that CCD is caused by pesticides.

        Pesticides are (in general) a problem, but you don't win points by
        punching blindly into the direction of your opponent. It is important to
        understand how pesticides are tested and approved. It is also important
        to understand how a specific group of pesticides would be replaced if
        outlawed. Then we can ask for real change (Politicians like to make
        changes that don' change anything, so they appear to do something while
        their behind is covered.)

        What did they do to protect their hives from Sandy? Did they tie down
        their hives?

        Jorg

        On 12/27/2012 03:45 AM, Charles Walter wrote:
        > A couple of years ago, I started learning about Colony Collapse Disorder
        > (CCD) through my work in NRDC’s Membership Department.
        > Read more at: http://bit.ly/10m24Ek
        > Charles Walter
      • karon
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 27, 2012
          I think the biggest challenge to honey bees is the fact that while most
          beekeepers are hobbyists, if you want to sell honey, you have SO many hoops
          through which to jump. And, with the Chinese honey on the market, in most
          cases, homegrown honey is simply not worth the time! And certainly not worth
          all the hoops and expense to be registered via the government.

          But, historically, there are two groups of people who have never starved.
          Those who could produce sweets and those who could produce alcohol. So,
          those of us who know how to manage bees and also to make mead with our honey
          will always be secure.

          This article also ignores that, as valuable as honeybees are, there are a
          lot of other pollinators out there, so, should we lose honeybees, other
          insects and animals would still do the job. Let us remember that, before
          Europeans, honeybees, as we know them, were not in this country. the Indians
          referred to them as "White Man's Fly" so, while I want to keep bees in use
          in my area and all of America, the country will not be reduced to only
          grains if bees disappear.

          Given these major problems of this story, and the points made by the last
          poster regarding pesticides and their balance of benefits to dangers as well
          as the political issues involved, I tend to not give much credence to this
          little article.

          I too, wonder if they did anything to prepare for Sandy.

          Karon Adams
          Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)
          You can send a Rosary to a soldier!
          www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary
          www.YellowRibbonRosaries.com

          Gone?

          > I find this article a bit shallow. Everything is blamed on pesticides, no
          mention of
          > Varroa, Nosema, Chinese honey at dumping prices that reduced the number of
          > professional beekeepers. It is not mentioned that there is no accepted
          scientific proof
          > that CCD is caused by pesticides.
          >
          > Pesticides are (in general) a problem, but you don't win points by
          punching blindly into
          > the direction of your opponent. It is important to understand how
          pesticides are tested
          > and approved. It is also important to understand how a specific group of
          pesticides
          > would be replaced if outlawed. Then we can ask for real change
          (Politicians like to make
          > changes that don' change anything, so they appear to do something while
          their behind
          > is covered.)
          >
          > What did they do to protect their hives from Sandy? Did they tie down
          their hives?

          > Jorg
          >
          > On 12/27/2012 03:45 AM, Charles Walter wrote:
          > > A couple of years ago, I started learning about Colony Collapse
          > > Disorder
          > > (CCD) through my work in NRDC's Membership Department.
          > > Read more at: http://bit.ly/10m24Ek
          > > Charles Walter

        • Stephen Johnson
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 27, 2012
            Did folks actually tie down there hives during Sandy?  Not being from that part of the country I was wondering what kind of provision beekeepers do for that kind of preparation?

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 27, 2012
              >>>   if you want to sell honey, you have SO many hoops
              through which to jump. And, with the Chinese honey on the market, in most
              cases, homegrown honey is simply not worth the time! And certainly not worth
              all the hoops and expense to be registered via the government.

              Check things out.  For some, there are not so many hoops through which you need to leap.  Chinese honey, even commercial honey found in the store, is not a challenge for locally produced honey.  I've sold honey in farmers' markets and provided tastes of my honey.  Once people taste 'good' locally produced honey they recognize the difference and will lock in on local honey.  I've even had people pay and additional $3 per quart for a specialty honey when they've tasted the difference between my specialty honey and my volume honey (mixture of clover and gallberry honeys).

              Mike in LA

            • kewisch@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 28, 2012
                I am on Long Island, 50 miles east of Brooklyn. Sandy made landfall about 100 miles south of Brooklyn, as predicted. I did nothing, with enough time to act if Sandy changed her mind. My bees are fine. Last year when Isabelle came through I had my hives strapped down. I have only four hives and got a four-pack of straps with ratchet for $15 and used a few stakes. My bees were fine both times. My yard is on high ground and the damage Sandy caused was mostly due to flooding.

                There is a great post in the archives on BEE-L:
                http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A2=ind9409&L=BEE-L&P=R3394&1=BEE-L&9=A&I=-3&J=on&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches&z=4

              • mdudley@king-cart.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 29, 2012
                  I was planning on strapping mine down as well. I figure if I put them on cinder blocks or put them on cinder blocks then I can put straps around the hive to hold it down. Might even help against small bears.

                  Marshall

                  --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "kewisch@..." <jorg@...> wrote:

                  > I am on Long Island, 50 miles east of Brooklyn. Sandy made landfall about 100 miles south of Brooklyn, as predicted. I did nothing, with enough time to act if Sandy changed her mind. My bees are fine. Last year when Isabelle came through I had my hives strapped down. I have only four hives and got a four-pack of straps with ratchet for $15 and used a few stakes. My bees were fine both times. My yard is on high ground and the damage Sandy caused was mostly due to flooding.
                  >
                  > There is a great post in the archives on BEE-L:
                  > http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A2=ind9409&L=BEE-L&P=R3394&1=BEE-L&9=A&I=-3&J=on&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches&z=4
                  >
                  > --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Johnson <reeferret@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Did folks actually tie down there hives during Sandy? Not being from that
                  > > part of the country I was wondering what kind of provision beekeepers do
                  > > for that kind of preparation?

                • roger g
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 30, 2012
                    I ratchetstrap my langs all the time. Had a topbar hive blow over during storm,set back up, only broke one comb off seems OK. lost one topbar hive to a bear, thankfully he didn't come back for more. I have 3 ohter topbars and 5 langs at theat location. set up 3 trailcams. roger NJ

                    --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, mdudley@... wrote:

                    > I was planning on strapping mine down as well. I figure if I put them on cinder blocks or put them on cinder blocks then I can put straps around the hive to hold it down. Might even help against small bears.
                    >
                    > Marshall
                    >
                    > --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "kewisch@" <jorg@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I am on Long Island, 50 miles east of Brooklyn. Sandy made landfall about 100 miles south of Brooklyn, as predicted. I did nothing, with enough time to act if Sandy changed her mind. My bees are fine. Last year when Isabelle came through I had my hives strapped down. I have only four hives and got a four-pack of straps with ratchet for $15 and used a few stakes. My bees were fine both times. My yard is on high ground and the damage Sandy caused was mostly due to flooding.
                    > >
                    > > There is a great post in the archives on BEE-L:
                    > > http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A2=ind9409&L=BEE-L&P=R3394&1=BEE-L&9=A&I=-3&J=on&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches&z=4
                    > >
                    > > --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Johnson <reeferret@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Did folks actually tie down there hives during Sandy? Not being from that
                    > > > part of the country I was wondering what kind of provision beekeepers do
                    > > > for that kind of preparation?

                  • Alan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 31, 2012
                      I agree with Mike.

                      We have a sign on our front yard fence advertising local honey for sale. All else, we sell via word of mouth. All in all, subtracting what we keep for our own consumption, we sell everything that three hives produce each year. No effort at all about selling honey. It's like having a garden in your back yard and selling from your porch. People would rather buy local, real local, then purchase even from stands down the road. And once you make that first sell, they keep coming back for more!

                      Alan, Lakeview, NY