RE: [Beekeeping] Guess who is a beekeeper again??

  • karon
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 2012

      OK, that is the depth of the two supers I have. So, why would I want my brood chamber in two parts o that I have to remove the top half in order to inspect the lower section? If there is an advantage I am not understanding, please let me know. It just seems that it would be more safe for the hive to have a deep body for the brood chamber so that I could take off the supers down to the excluder, then, inspect the brood chamber, a single frame at a time while the rest of the chamber is unmolested.

      I am probably missing something, but, if I don’t spot the queen first time around, I would hate to put the top half of the hive on the ground in order to inspect the bottom half and risk losing the queen in the grass.

      How do you handle that? I know I used to go into my hives about once a week or every other week, just to make sure all was well, brood was being laid and hatching regularly and so on.

      What do you think?

      Karon Adams

      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!