Re: Freeman Beetle Trap

  • mdudley@king-cart.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012
      Salt or any poison on the ground under a hive will help break the life cycle of the beetle since the grubs drop to the ground to form pupae which then hatch to adult beetles to invade your other hives. The same can be said for another popular remedy, nematodes.

      There are two problems with this as a control though. First if you have grubs dropping to the ground the hive above is already destroyed. So it does not help that hive at all, only if you have other hives would it be a possible benefit to them. The other is that the salt will wash away pretty quickly during rainstorms.

      Marshall

    • mdudley@king-cart.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2012
        I emailed Mr. Freeman about the lime and he was wanting to know if he could get the name and phone number of the breeder that uses lime. Here is his response:

        jfreeman1944@...

        Good suggestion. I have heard that lime will absorb moisture and crust over but that may not be true. Or it may take it a while. I'll run some trials and see how it works. It would be great to get something for the commercial beekeepers.

        Any way to get the name and phone number of the queen breeder?
        thanks,

        Jerry

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2012
          From: mdudley@... <mdudley@...>
          >>>   I emailed Mr. Freeman about the lime and he was wanting to know if he
          could get the name and phone number of the breeder that uses lime.

          I will try to forward the request to the queen producer.  I'm not sure that I have an e-mail address for him.  When talking to him he made no mention of the lime absorbing moisture and crusting over.  And, it may be that he empties the trap every couple of weeks and thus renews the lime before it has a chance to crust over.  I will leave it up to him as to whether he contacts Mr. Freeman.