Re: [Beekeeping] Hive Stand

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
      >>>    Has anyone ever used these for hive stands, or see any problems with it?

      Galvanized steel water heater stand.  Right off the top of my head I see that you would need something under the feet, otherwise they would sink unevenly into the ground and would probably sink even more when the ground got wet.

      Mike in LA

    • Alan
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
        Cinder blocks may be cheaper.

        Alan

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
          >>>   Cinder blocks may be cheaper.

          My thoughts as well.  My stands are two cinder blocks high with 4 X 4 landscape timbers on top.  I have three hives to a stand.

          Mike in LA

        • mdudley@king-cart.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
            Paver stones or similar would need to be placed for it to sit on.

            I agree concrete or cinder blocks are much cheaper, but my wife thinks they are UGLY!

            Thanks for the input. I am getting ready to try keeping again after 13 years, mites wiped me out before. Hopefully now with things like the freeman beetle bottom board, and survivor bees I can make a go of it again.

            Marshall

            --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Alan <axeman_002000@...> wrote:

            > Cinder blocks may be cheaper.
            >
            > Alan
            >

            > ________________________________

          • mommyhen42
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2012
              What I did was buy 4 pieces of 3' rebar and 3 2x4's
              I cut one of the 2x4's into 4 equal lengths and the other one in half
              Then I built it to look like a ladder with each end closed.

              Then I drilled 4 holes into each corner of the frame and pounded in the rebar
              Then I took it to where I wanted my hives and pounded the rebar into the ground level and to the height I wanted.
              I covered the frame with a sheet of scrap plywood and put my hives on that.
              My stand is wider than the hives because I wanted room to place my tools behind the hives when I worked, but you could cut the center pieces to match the width of your hives just as easily.

              This made a cheap and highly effective hive stand