Re: Hive beetle control

  • mommyhen42
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2012
      I have not seen more than one or two in any given hive.
      but FatBeeman has what I think is a good solution

      take corrugated plastic sheets like the political signs and cut them into 4" squares, then pack one end of holes with Crisco or other hard vegetable shortening. He claims that they like the shortening.
      Then fill the space with boric acid or borax and cap off with more shortening.

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "deknow@..." <deknow@...> wrote:

      > ...I'd suggest looking at the work of Dr. Peter Teal and his lab in Florida. He has a number of good (and well researched) options.
      >
      > If I had a SHB problem, I'd put ripe cantaloupe out near the hives (adult beetles are preferentially attracted to this over a hive), and let the chickens at it every 2 days....you will get eggs out of the deal as well :)
      >
      > deknow

    • c dj
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2012
        Fine salt.Coat you bottom boards with fine salt.i also recomend trasting the ground around with large quanity of rock salt.This will kill all vegaition around the hives and the areas of water run off.
      • Carrie Hardee
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2012
          I bet that would work. Thank you!!