Re: [Beekeeping] Re: Question About Catching a Swarm

  • Tim Arheit
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 20, 2012
      I'm not aware of any state where it is illegal to kill bees, though I hear it a lot from individuals and even pest control companies.

      The fact is that it is quite legal to kill bees.   It's often specified in the law for foul brood, and in certain jurisdictions mandated for swarms.

      What is illegal however:
       - Killing foraging bees (ie. putting out poisoned bait)
       - Using pesticides off label.   (This is one thing pesticide companies can get in big trouble for.   While what they have on the shelf may kill bees, if it isn't labeled as such they can't use it.  )
       - Killing bees you don't own (killing your neighbors bees, etc.)
       - Using pesticides (even on label) to kill other peoples bees without a pesticide license.  (I get asked to kill hives sometimes that are in a location that is impossible or very restrictive to remove.   I can't apply pesticide so must tell the home owner to call a pest control company or take care of it themselves.)

      I always laugh at the calls I get after people chase them around with water.   They frequently relocate in a more inconvenient spot that is harder for the beekeeper to get.  Not to mention it can upset the bees and probably worse if they happen to be africanized.   Talk about about being reckless, lots of liability there.

      -Tim

      On 8/20/2012 12:41 PM, sydwool wrote:

      > In California...It's illegal for pest control operators to kill swarms.
      > They know better. They'll do one of two things instead:
      >
      > 1. They'll call an experienced beekeeper out to retrive the swarm
      > 2. They will and can blast them with a shot of water to get them to
      > disperse and fly somewhere else.

      It is not illegal. Some pest operators are unwilling to kill swarms and will recommend a beekeeper but many more spray the swarm, or if it is a nest, put dust at the entrance.

      Have been told that in SoCal, some counties have legislated that swarms MUST be killed by pest control because of the probability that they are Africanized bees.

      There has been lots of good advice on where to advise that you want swarms BUT if you only want one swarm don't advertise your services broadly, you could be inundated with calls. People who want swarm pickups become very discouraged when beekeepers say they can't/won't come by and that's when they call the exterminator.

      Don't put yourself on lists that have a long life if you only want one swarm. List yourself on Craigslist, and after you get your swarm and the listing expires everybody is happy.

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 21, 2012
        My information came from a pest control operator who was called out to a home in back of mine to get rid of a swarm that had entered the attic of a second store home (these are tall homes by the way. We call them McMansions).

        He told me it was illegal for pest control operators to kill swarms. Trust me Tim, I didn't just dream it up or invent it.

        Perhaps I misunderstood him and it was the practice of his company to not kill swarms? I'm not sure.

        But I'm almost positive he told me it was against the law -- UNLESS the bees were inside a wall and were doing damage to a home.

        Bill

        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Tim Arheit <tarheit@...> wrote:

        > I'm not aware of any state where it is illegal to kill bees, though I
        > hear it a lot from individuals and even pest control companies.
        >
        > The fact is that it is quite legal to kill bees. It's often specified
        > in the law for foul brood, and in certain jurisdictions mandated for swarms.
        >
        > What is illegal however:
        > - Killing foraging bees (ie. putting out poisoned bait)
        > - Using pesticides off label. (This is one thing pesticide companies
        > can get in big trouble for. While what they have on the shelf may kill
        > bees, if it isn't labeled as such they can't use it. )
        > - Killing bees you don't own (killing your neighbors bees, etc.)
        > - Using pesticides (even on label) to kill other peoples bees without
        > a pesticide license. (I get asked to kill hives sometimes that are in a
        > location that is impossible or very restrictive to remove. I can't
        > apply pesticide so must tell the home owner to call a pest control
        > company or take care of it themselves.)
        >
        > I always laugh at the calls I get after people chase them around with
        > water. They frequently relocate in a more inconvenient spot that is
        > harder for the beekeeper to get. Not to mention it can upset the bees
        > and probably worse if they happen to be africanized. Talk about about
        > being reckless, lots of liability there.
        >
        > -Tim
        >
        > On 8/20/2012 12:41 PM, sydwool wrote:
        > >
        > > > In California...It's illegal for pest control operators to kill swarms.
        > > > They know better. They'll do one of two things instead:
        > > >
        > > > 1. They'll call an experienced beekeeper out to retrive the swarm
        > > > 2. They will and can blast them with a shot of water to get them to
        > > > disperse and fly somewhere else.
        > >
        > > It is not illegal. Some pest operators are unwilling to kill swarms
        > > and will recommend a beekeeper but many more spray the swarm, or if it
        > > is a nest, put dust at the entrance.
        > >
        > > Have been told that in SoCal, some counties have legislated that
        > > swarms MUST be killed by pest control because of the probability that
        > > they are Africanized bees.
        > >
        > > There has been lots of good advice on where to advise that you want
        > > swarms BUT if you only want one swarm don't advertise your services
        > > broadly, you could be inundated with calls. People who want swarm
        > > pickups become very discouraged when beekeepers say they can't/won't
        > > come by and that's when they call the exterminator.
        > >
        > > Don't put yourself on lists that have a long life if you only want one
        > > swarm. List yourself on Craigslist, and after you get your swarm and
        > > the listing expires everybody is happy.

      • roger g
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 22, 2012
          some states have made it illigal to kill honey bees. I understant here in New Jersey they can't spry them either. I've gotten a couple calls because of it. Actually i'm doing a trap out now because they said the exterminator couldn't kill them.
          And a succesfull trapout it is. I cut the back out of a nuke and butted it up to the hole in the tree, stuffed fome & plastic bags around it so no light between the tree and box. Couple days later it was full of bees and i put a second one on top to give them more room. No way i could find the Queen qith so many bees there. Couple days later there was lots of eggs and young larva so the queen came out of the tree and was laying in nukes. still didn't find queen so couldn't move boxes. week later checked again - lots of capped brood eggs & larva. Found and marked the queen so moved the boxes away from tree and put screen funel on tree hole.
          They told me this very seldom works to get a queen out but i think the fact there was no light between the tree and box did it. HY 5 2 ME lol roger NJ

          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <billbird2111@...> wrote:

          > My information came from a pest control operator who was called out to a home in back of mine to get rid of a swarm that had entered the attic of a second store home (these are tall homes by the way. We call them McMansions).
          >
          > He told me it was illegal for pest control operators to kill swarms. Trust me Tim, I didn't just dream it up or invent it.
          >
          > Perhaps I misunderstood him and it was the practice of his company to not kill swarms? I'm not sure.
          >
          > But I'm almost positive he told me it was against the law -- UNLESS the bees were inside a wall and were doing damage to a home.
          >
          > Bill
          >
          > --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Tim Arheit <tarheit@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm not aware of any state where it is illegal to kill bees, though I
          > > hear it a lot from individuals and even pest control companies.
          > >
          > > The fact is that it is quite legal to kill bees. It's often specified
          > > in the law for foul brood, and in certain jurisdictions mandated for swarms.
          > >
          > > What is illegal however:
          > > - Killing foraging bees (ie. putting out poisoned bait)
          > > - Using pesticides off label. (This is one thing pesticide companies
          > > can get in big trouble for. While what they have on the shelf may kill
          > > bees, if it isn't labeled as such they can't use it. )
          > > - Killing bees you don't own (killing your neighbors bees, etc.)
          > > - Using pesticides (even on label) to kill other peoples bees without
          > > a pesticide license. (I get asked to kill hives sometimes that are in a
          > > location that is impossible or very restrictive to remove. I can't
          > > apply pesticide so must tell the home owner to call a pest control
          > > company or take care of it themselves.)
          > >
          > > I always laugh at the calls I get after people chase them around with
          > > water. They frequently relocate in a more inconvenient spot that is
          > > harder for the beekeeper to get. Not to mention it can upset the bees
          > > and probably worse if they happen to be africanized. Talk about about
          > > being reckless, lots of liability there.
          > >
          > > -Tim

          > > > It is not illegal. Some pest operators are unwilling to kill swarms
          > > > and will recommend a beekeeper but many more spray the swarm, or if it
          > > > is a nest, put dust at the entrance.
          > > >
          > > > Have been told that in SoCal, some counties have legislated that
          > > > swarms MUST be killed by pest control because of the probability that
          > > > they are Africanized bees.
          > > >
          > > > There has been lots of good advice on where to advise that you want
          > > > swarms BUT if you only want one swarm don't advertise your services
          > > > broadly, you could be inundated with calls. People who want swarm
          > > > pickups become very discouraged when beekeepers say they can't/won't
          > > > come by and that's when they call the exterminator.
          > > >
          > > > Don't put yourself on lists that have a long life if you only want one
          > > > swarm. List yourself on Craigslist, and after you get your swarm and
          > > > the listing expires everybody is happy.

        • Carrie Hardee
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 22, 2012
            Our local pest control company exterminates them. I was told that they were no longer allowed to call in a Beekeeper, because of the Africanized Bees.  I was working for them for a short period of time and was shocked by that.  I'm thinking it was just a company policy to avoid them from being sued.  Very sad!

            Carrie in FL